Introducing 1Password 7 Beta for Windows

1Password 7 for Windows is almost here! 🎉🙌 Today marks our first beta and you’re invited to join in on the fun.

This is a massive release where quite literally everything has changed. And with support for local vaults, everyone can enjoy the awesomeness that is 1Password 7 for Windows.

Read on to see what all the hullabaloo is about and I think you’ll find our excitement is quite contagious. 🙂

Incredible New Design

Our design team has been working their tails off making 1Password 7 for Windows the best it can be, so it seems fitting that we start by showing how great 1Password 7 looks.

The awesome starts with the lock screen.

1Password 7 Beta for Windows Lock Screen

Once you unlock 1Password with your Master Password (or Windows Hello), you’re in for a delightful surprise. I’ll let 1Password speak for itself here.

Main window view from 1Password 7 Beta for Windows

From the typography to the rich icons to the layout, everything has changed. Yet the soul of 1Password remains, so you’re able to jump right in and find everything you need.

The new sidebar is not only gorgeous but it’s more powerful, too. It allows you to navigate between your categories and tags just like you always could, but now your vaults live there as well.

All your vaults, all in one place

Easily browse account vaults and standalone vaults with 1Password 7 Beta for Windows

Organizing your items into vaults is a great way to keep your items tidy and share them with those who need them.

Vaults are so nice that you’ll find yourself adding lots of them. Thankfully the sidebar makes it easy to see every vault you have at a glance. If you want to zoom in and see all the items in a vault or an account, just click on it. When you’re ready to zoom out again, click All Vaults to see all your items.

Between my AgileBits business and Teare family accounts, I now have over 50 vaults. Being able to switch between vaults and accounts makes it super simple to stay focused on the task at hand. Which is perfect for those days when I need to find my mom’s Pokémon password. 🙂

Small passwords. Large passwords!

If you spend as much time looking at computer screens as I do, your eyes will love our new Large Type. Passwords have never looked better!

Large Type Viewer in 1Password 7 Beta for Windows

This is great when you need to type a password into another app. But for browsers, 1Password mini will take care of this large task for you.

1Password mini is always by your side

To keep up with their bigger sibling, 1Password mini has a new design of their own and has learned some new tricks as well. As always, mini will automatically find the logins that are most relevant to the website you are on, making it super easy to sign in.

Quickly fill logins using 1Password mini in 1Password 7 Beta for Windows

And if a website has been breached, mini will alert you so you know which of your logins need to have their passwords changed.

You can also open logins directly within your browser. And as an added bonus, your password will also be filled automatically after the page opens, making 1Password a great way to bookmark websites.

Designed for everybody

We wanted to create 1Password 7 for everybody and be as inclusive as possible. That started with allowing you to sync your vaults yourself as well as supporting 1Password accounts.

1Password also speaks your language and has been localized into 9 languages, including Français, Deutsch, Italiano, 日本語, 한국어, Português, Pyсский, and Español.

Localised 1Password 7 Beta for Windows speaks many languages

Being able to use 1Password in your language is great and it’s even better on High-DPI displays. 1Password 7 has full support for HiDPI in Windows 10 so it looks incredible on 4K monitors and other high density screens.

And for those of you who rely on assistive technologies, rest assured that 1Password 7 is fully accessible. Accessibility is near and dear to my heart and I’m looking forward to seeing your feedback on this beta.

Why hello there, Windows Hello

We also added support for Windows Hello so you can unlock 1Password using your fingerprint or simply your smile. This works great in the main app as well as in mini.

Windows Hello support with 1Password 7 Beta for Windows

To keep things as secure as possible, the first time you unlock 1Password you will need to provide your Master Password. Windows Hello will then be able to unlock 1Password afterwards.

Pricing

1Password 7 is included free with every 1Password membership. This includes individual accounts, as well as anyone who is part of a family or team. If this is you, you’re all set! Jump to the next section to get started with the beta.

For standalone license holders, 1Password 7 for Windows will be a paid upgrade. Once 1Password 7 for Windows is officially released later this year, a new license will be required and will cost $64.99.

If you join the beta you will get access to a special discount to show our thanks for helping us get the beta polished. The code hasn’t been written yet, but in the next few months an upgrade window will appear, giving you the opportunity to purchase your license for just $39.99.

So join the beta, give us your feedback, and save! Here’s how…

Join our beta family

Intrepid testers who enjoy being on the cutting edge can jump right in by downloading the beta today.

Download the 1Password 7 Beta for Windows

Please see our release notes for known issues and join us in our discussion forum to let us know what worked great and where we need to improve.

We wouldn’t be here without you so thanks again for all your help! 😘

1Password 7 for Windows (beta)

Dave Teare Founder of AgileBits

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. Daniel
    Daniel says:

Looks like a big improvement. I’m looking forward to it.

And now, a nitpick: Why not support colored emoji in team and vault names?

Thanks Daniel! I’m glad you enjoy what you saw here. 🎉

As for your nitpick, I am on your side as I think the coloured emoji would look better on the sidebar. I’ll be honest with you though, the team worked their tails off to get us this far so I decided not to say anything just yet. I thought I would give them until beta 3 or 4 until pointing this out and asking for it to be changed. 🙂

Hello!

I agree. Chinese support would be fantastic. Unfortunately we don’t have any folks on our team that speak Chinese fluently enough to localize 1Password just yet, but we’re love to fix that in the future. We’re also looking for like minded companies that could localize 1Password for us into more languages. Hopefully we find one soon. 🤞

• Shiner
      Shiner says:

Let me add a bit further to what Dave said.

We are definitely interested in localizing 1Password to additional languages. We’ve actively been working with a few different paid translation companies, trying to see if we can find one that can translate 1Password effectively. It is more difficult to translate an app like 1Password than you might expect, as certain words can have many different translations, so you need to understand the context in which that word is used. This is why we rely on our own folks to double check that the resulting translation makes sense.

Happily, we seem to have found a company that translates our apps quite well. As a result, we feel comfortable having them translate into additional languages that we aren’t able to check ourselves. Chinese is right at the top of our additional languages list, so you can expect to see that show up in an upcoming beta.

• Paul
      Paul says:

Bye the way your German translation is not really perfect
      Starting with Deutsche for German – this should be Deutsch
      You should have native speaking users do the translation or at lest review it.
      I do this for other tools just because I like them – sometimes you get a free copy as a reward but that’s a very cheap and effective way for those developers to get translations done.
      By the way I’m working for a international software company and we have the same issues getting translations that really make sense (because it’s enterprise grade software the described model does not work out)

Hello again, Paul! 👋

Doh! You’re totally right. And it’s totally my fault! You can see in my post that I have the correct spelling of Deutsch. In an earlier draft I had it spelt Deutsche and this error was pointed out to me Alex, one of our team members who is a native German speaker. I updated my post right away but I forgot one part: I forgot to tell our development team to make the change in the menu.

We’ll get that fixed up. Thanks for pointing this out and please do let us know if you find any more issues in the translation. Albeit be prepared to have some deep discussions with Alex about the German language as he’s quite passionate about it. 🙂

2. Michael K
    Michael K says:

This is great news. I have one question though.

I currently have a Cross-platform family license. I use 1Password on Mac and Windows. Dave mentioned something upcoming for Mac too.

Just wondering if there are going to be separate licenses or one that will work across both as I have now? Also how will I go if I start using 1p7 for Windows with my existing family license.

Hi Michael, 👋

It’s great news that you call this great news! We think so, too. 🙂

As for the license itself, if you purchase a standalone license it is purchased per person, per platform. When 1Password 7 for Mac eventually becomes a reality it will require a separate license of its own. The easier path is our 1Password membership as it gives you access to all our apps on every platform, including web access, for only $2.99 a month, and all updates and paid upgrades are included for free with a membership. Of course it’s your choice so more power to you whichever way you decide to roll.

As for using the 1Password 7 beta on Windows, you’re welcome to start using it today. You will not need to enter a license immediately so you’ll have some time to use it and see if you enjoy it (we think you will!). In a future update you will need to purchase a license or subscribe to continue using it.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if there’s anything else I can help with.

++dave

• Carsten
      Carsten says:

Great question Michael. I have the same cross platform license. I hope that Dave Teare can come back to that part of your post.

Best, Carsten

PS. Finally!! I’m so happy.

Good morning, Carsten! ☀️

Looks like I missed part of Michael’s question. Thanks for pointing that out. You’re right, in our old storefront we had a special bundle license that allowed you to buy both the Mac and Windows license together for a discount. In our new storefront the licenses are sold individually with no option to bundle them together. The bundle license that you and Michael have will continue to work with 1Password 4 for Windows and 1Password 6 for Mac, but it will not be usable within 1Password 7. A new license will need to be purchased for 1Password 7 for Windows and when the day comes, another license will be needed for 1Password 7 for Mac.

I hope that answers your question. Please do let me know if I missed anything else though. 🙂

Take care and have a wonderful day,

P.S. I’m so happy that you’re so happy! 🙌

• Carsten
      Carsten says:

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply (even on a really busy day for you) with the missing information. Overall that sounds fair and I’m look forward to buying the needed upgrade licenses.

Best, Carsten

Awesome. Thanks for the update, Carsten!

Hopefully you’ve had a chance to take the beta for a spin already. If not, I recommend it as a fun weekend activity. 🙂

Thank you, Julian! That’s music to our ears. 🙂

Please do give the beta a try and let us know how it goes.

Take care and enjoy the rest of your week. 🤗

3. circleofrain
    circleofrain says:

Is there a way to use the 1Password 7 Beta for Windows with Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer on Windows 10? Also, can I somehow install the extension without downloading it through the Microsoft Store? The Microsoft Store is blocked by our company policy.

Good question! Let me see if I can give as good of an answer. 🙂

So first things first, 1Password 7 does not support Internet Explorer at all. Microsoft has stopped development there and is putting all their effort into Edge nowadays so it made sense that we follow suit.

1Password 7 supports Microsoft Edge so you’re welcome to use it there, but unfortunately it does indeed depend on using the Microsoft Store. This is a requirement from Microsoft so unfortunately we’re not going to be able to support Edge otherwise.

Depending on your company and their policies I recommend you install Google Chrome and use the 1Password extension there. Hopefully that’s an option for you.

I hope I was able to help. Please let me know and enjoy the rest of your day! 👋

Hi Peter,

We will be having an upgrade sale when 1Password 7 launches later this year as we wanted to say thank you to everyone who supported us all these years. To make things as simple as possible, there will be no need to “trade in” or “upgrade” your existing license explicitly. Instead, we’ll have a 2 or 3 week window after launch were we’ll discount the license in our store.

During our last paid upgrade for Mac we allowed individual licenses to be upgraded for a discount and it was a mess. We received a ton of support requests and needed to help many customers through the upgrade process. It was a huge time sink for us, wasted a lot of our customers time, and resulted in quite a lot of frustration. Not to mention the stress of seeing our inboxes at over 10,000 messages each day for months after launch. I still have nightmares about this to this day. 🙂

I hope that helps. Please let me know and take care,

4. circleofrain
    circleofrain says:

I’m happy to hear that you will also give customers the choice of local vaults. Will you offer update prices perhaps for updating standalone versions of 1Password 7 for Windows and Mac? Hope you also add the WiFi Sync :)

Hello again! 👋

It makes me happy to hear that you’re happy. It’s a virtuous circle. 🙂

There will be an upgrade sale when 1Password 7 becomes available and you’ll be able to purchase your license then for a discount. We really wanted to say thank you to everyone who supported us all these years but we also wanted to keep things as simple as possible. So instead of having the ability to “trade in” or “upgrade” your existing license we’ll have a 2 or 3 week window after launch were we’ll discount the license in our store.

As I was telling Peter in an earlier comment, during our last paid upgrade for Mac we wrote code to allow individual licenses to be upgraded for a discount and it was a mess. We received a ton of support requests and needed to help many customers through the upgrade process. It was a huge time sink for us, wasted a lot of our customers time, and resulted in quite a lot of frustration. Not to mention the stress of seeing our inboxes at over 10,000 messages each day for months after launch. I still have nightmares about this to this day. 🙂

This time around we’re doing things differently and have opted to keep things incredibly simple and have a single price. For the lowest price possible, the best time to buy will be during the beta process. We wanted to discount licenses during the beta even more as an additional reward for those who help us during the beta testing process.

Regarding WLAN Sync, please see my reply to Paule above. Actually, it was more of an essay than a reply, which is why I thought I better link you to it instead of typing it all out again. 😀

• circleofrain
      circleofrain says:

Dear Dave Teare,
      Thanks for your reply and the information you wrote. I signed up for the newsletter about WiFi Sync. Look forward to testing the further test and also 1Password 7 for Mac.

You’re very welcome! ❤️

I’m glad we were able to get you excited with 1Password 7. Excitement is contagious and you’ve getting me excited to write more Windows announcements. 😀 But first we need to get this beta polished up so hopefully you’ll have a chance to try it and let us know how it goes. I’m looking forward to seeing your feedback in the discussion forums. 👋

5. Michael
    Michael says:

1Password7 looks way more modern than the v4 which I was using up to now. That is for sure and a big plus.

Now I have imported my passwords from the 1Password.agilekeychain folder and it seems that Dropbox sync to my phone is broken now. Is this feature supported at the moment or is it only planned for the future?

Thank you for clarification.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the kind words. We’re pretty smitten with 1Password 7 as well. 🙂

It sounds like you’ve managed to import your data into 1Password 7, which is great. What caught you off guard is you existing 1Password.agilekeychain folder will be IGNORED by 1Password 7 after the import finishes. A new folder should have been created with the newer OPVault format and stored alongside your old one. It’s this new folder that you will need to sync your phone with.

We have a window that appears (or at least is supposed to appear) during the import process that explains this. I wonder, did you the window appear or do we need to polish things to make it more clear? We’re just starting the beta process so any feedback you have would be great.

Thanks!