The 1Password 7 Beta for Mac Is Lit and You Can Be, Too

Guess what, Mac fam? 1Password 7 for Mac is on its way! 🎉👏

This first beta is just a taste of what’s to come and it’s already packed full of new features and improvements. Here’s what we have so far.

Beta bling

The awesome starts with the lock screen but the real magic happens when those doors open.

Enhanced sidebar

1Password 7 comes at you fast with its bold, beautiful sidebar. The sidebar shows more information than ever, but the dark theme and monochrome icons allow you to focus your attention on what matters most: your items.

Drag and drop

You can now see all your vaults in the sidebar. This makes it easy to drag and drop items between vaults to organize them. You can even drag them between two different accounts. And if you drag items onto New Vault, a vault will be created for you right there and then. It’s never been easier to share and organize your information.

Easily edit vaults

With the new sidebar it seemed fitting to allow you to manage your vaults directly from there. So that’s what we did. Edit vault names, change their descriptions, choose an avatar or upload your own. All without ever leaving 1Password.

Rich formatting in notes

Are you feeling bold? How about emphatic? You can now express your emotions in secure notes. Use Markdown in any of your notes to add clickable links, ordered and unordered lists, and eye catching styles.

Nested tags

Tag fanatics rejoice! Not only can you organize your items with tags but you can also organize your tags. There’s an Inception joke here somewhere; while you wait for me to find it, add a forward slash to your tag names and 1Password will do the rest.

Pop-out items

If you use lots of different apps on your Mac or enjoy viewing multiple items at once, you’re going to love this: click the icon on the toolbar and your item details are whisked away into a new sticky window that will stick around until you dismiss it.

Our own font: Courier Prime Bits

No design is ever complete without finding the perfect font. We’ve added a beautiful custom font created specifically for 1Password called Courier Prime Bits (based on the lovely Courier Prime). Alan Dague-Greene is the creative genius behind this font and it makes your passwords look alive.

Finding pwned passwords 🕵🏼‍♀️

Troy Hunt has collected more than 500 million passwords from various breaches in his Have I Been Pwned? database. Easily check if your password is among them.

Secure Enclave for Touch ID

Secure Enclave protects your Master Password when Touch ID is enabled. This greatly improves your security when using Touch ID because the encryption keys are protected by the hardware in your Mac and are not accessible to any other programs or the operating system.

Safari App Extension

Our Safari extension now comes built in to 1Password 7. There’s no need to manage it separately, it updates whenever 1Password updates, and it’s more secure to boot!

Single process architecture

We completely rearchitected 1Password 7 to run within a single process. This eliminates connection issues between the main app and mini, greatly speeds up loading, and improves performance everywhere.

Grab bag of lit-ness

The changelog for beta 1 is huge. Coming in at nearly 100 additional features and improvements, it’s literally too much to read. Here are the CliffsNotes (or Coles Notes if you’re reppin’ Canada):

• Collapse the sidebar entirely so your items get all the love
  • Share vaults directly from the sidebar
  • Easily see your currently selected vault and account
  • Login details now highlight one-time passwords
  • Tags are monogrammed with their initials
  • Select which vaults to focus on right from the sidebar
  • Quickly find items with our new Spotlight integration
  • Use Handoff to view iOS items right from your Dock
  • Login icons have never looked better

Get it now

Getting lit with beta 1 is easy!

Download 1Password 7 Beta For Mac

1Password 7 is included free for everyone with a 1Password membership. Simply unlock 1Password after downloading and you’re good to go.

Those of you with a standalone license for version 6 will be prompted to subscribe or purchase a license when the beta first opens. Licenses will be available for $64.99 when we launch later this year, but are available now for only $39.99. You can also try a membership and start enjoying 1Password 7 today with your first month free.

We’re looking forward to sharing more surprises with you on our journey towards 1Password 7. In the meantime, please join us in our beta forums and help craft the future of 1Password. We always love hearing from you. 😘

P.S. This post was heavily inspired by asking the question that we should all ask ourselves from time to time: what would Drake say? I think I got close but if you know Drake, please ask and let me know. 🙂

Hi LoKan,

Great question! Yes, you will need to either subscribe to our 1Password membership or purchase a 1Password 7 license when you download the beta. 1Password 7 is a paid upgrade (our first in 5 years!) and that applies to everyone who purchased a license for 1Password 6 (or version 5 or version 4 for that matter).

The purchase goes though our store and so it’s completely independent of the Mac App Store. In other words, if you purchase a license from our store it will not work in the Mac App Store. With that said, if you subscribe to our 1Password membership for only $2.99 a month, your account will work everywhere.

I hope that helps clear things up. Please let me know and I’ll be happy to discuss this further.

• LoKan Sardari
      LoKan Sardari says:

Hi Dave,

First of all, coming from the Mac App Store version, migrating to your Beta is a real pain in the ass! Really! I love your app, but I hate that. It should be as simple as “open, vaults detected, do you wanna import and start a free trial, yes, boum!”

I’m on that f**** beta for 30 minutes now, I had to migrate my two vaults by hand, import them on 1password.com, and I still can’t delete my old Primary vault. On my iPhone, it worked great. On my MacBook Pro, I hate it !

Plus, I can’t fin a way to buy 1Password at your discounted price. When I click on 1Password > Licence, it tells me that I am licensed… Is it because of the Mac App Store version ? Did I win ?

Anyway, you have my email, it’s the one used for my account on your website. If you can do something, check something… please do ;-)

Hi LoKan,

I’m so sorry for the trouble! You’re right, it should be as simple as you described and that is what 1Password 7 is supposed to do. Clearly something is going sideways for you and we’ll need to figure it out.

I will pass your email along to the team and they’ll reach out but one thing I can say is you do not need to subscribe and purchase a license. It sounds like you already subscribed so you’re A-OK on the billing side of the world. Still, we need to learn why your Primary vault can’t be deleted and why you needed to do everything manually.

• KG
      KG says:

So, to clarify there will not be an Mac App Store version? I prefer to manage all my apps and their updates through the App Store.

If there is no App Store version, what does this mean for sync via iCloud? I know that is (used to be?) limited to the App Store version.

Thanks. Looks like an awesome update, and happy to support with a purchase, but really prefer to do that through the App Store.

I don’t know the answer to this. For the beta, certainly not as the Mac App Store doesn’t support that. But for final release we have a decision to make. Honestly there are pros and cons to both sides.

Sorry I don’t have a concrete answer for you at this time. What I will promise you is a blog post that talks about Mac App Store and the various challenges and opportunities there, along with whatever our official decision and plans ends up being. Stay tuned for that.

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Yakov! The short answer is that we don’t know just yet. The Mac App Store doesn’t support beta purchases, so it wasn’t something we had to worry about right away and with a major upgrade, there’s always something else to spend time on. This is only the beginning for 1Password 7, so I’m sure we’ll have some more bits of news to share between now and the big release day. 🙂

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Sam! Since the Mac App Store doesn’t support purchasing a beta app, it wasn’t something we had to worry about right away, so we focused instead on getting the beta ready to go. This is only the beginning, so we have a few things to sort out yet and I’m sure we’ll have more to share with y’all as we move forward through the beta process and get closer to the official release. 👍

Hi Sam,

For licenses specifically, however, I don’t know the answer. For the beta, certainly not as the Mac App Store doesn’t support open betas like the one we’re running here. But for final release we have a decision to make on whether we sell both licenses and memberships in the Mac App Store or just memberships. Honestly there are pros and cons to both sides. Either way licenses will be available from our web store.

• LoKan Sardari
      LoKan Sardari says:

Hi again,

On another MacBook Pro, it went well. The Beta even updated itself few minutes ago, and I don’t have the “Licence” line (I have to buy a subscription).
      On my main MacBook Pro, my old vault is here, the 1Password Updater keeps crashing so I can’t update to Beta 3, and I have a ghost Licence installed…

Please help. I want to pay ;-)

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey, LoKan! I’m glad you’ve had at least a partial win on one Mac. For the license issue, are you saying the option to purchase a license doesn’t show up at all when you launch? Have you been able to open your vault on this Mac?I To my knowledge, there’s no scenario that would lead to a fresh installation of 1Password 7 not allowing the license option, but I’ll give one of the developers a poke to see about ideas. Do let me know I’m on the right track, though.

As for your main Mac, others running into update problems have had some success by uninstalling their current version and grabbing Beta 3 from here. Could you give that a try and see if it works on the Mac giving you trouble? Thanks! 😊

• LoKan Sardari
      LoKan Sardari says:

Guys,

Let me be clear here: with all the things I had to do in the past 24 hours to make your app (which is now central in everyone’s life) working, I really REALLY hope that you will make everything SUPER EASY to go back to a Mac App Store version !

I’m one of your very first customers, I paid for your app since the beginning, I migrate to your beta yesterday because Dave told me that their will be no Mac App Store version, but because I prefer a MAS version too, I really hope that it will be easy to go back !

Or to unlock the membership with a Mac App Store version.

Do what you want, but think of everything this time.

Please.

Hi LoKan,

First let me say that I’m sorry for the trouble you’ve gone through! It’s certainly not the experience we were hoping for or expected. Future betas will make things smoother and I want to thank you for helping us find the rough spots.

As for the Mac App Store, I’m sorry if I misled you so let me try again to be perfectly clear: 1Password 7 will absolutely be available in the Mac App Store when we officially launch later this year. It will support 1Password memberships so those with a membership will be able to switch from the Mac App Store to the version from our site and vice versa simply by adding their account. 1Password will do the rest.

The only place where this is an open question is around standalone licenses in the Mac App Store. We will be having a blog post about the Mac App Store and upgrading licenses closer to the official launch date.

Thanks again for your help and for supporting us since the beginning. ❤️

1. Thomas
    Thomas says:

Great toy! I have 1PW 6 and 7 open at the same time. Do I have to be prepared for collisions?
    I like the left slider getting out of my way and still being able to select.

Hey Thomas! 👋

I’m glad to hear you’re enjoying that new sidebar. It’s pretty slick and I often reveal and collapse it just to watch the animation. Just like the pop-out window. 🙂

As for running both 1Password 6 and 1Password 7 at the same time, you absolutely WILL get collisions so please don’t do that. The installer will eventually delete the old version for you so as to avoid issues. We needed to change that at the last minute so for now you have to be extra careful.

Take care and enjoy the beta! ❤️

Hello again, Thomas. 🙂

After posting my reply I wasn’t overly happy with my vague “collisions” comment so I asked our devs for more details. Here they are.

First, the Safari browser integration is completely different. Our new Safari App Extension will aggressively uninstall the old extension whenever it is found.

Second, switching browsers won’t help you as our Native Messaging support for Chrome ad Firefox in version 6 and 7 will compete with each other. It will result in you never really knowing which version of 1Password you are talking with.

And third and likely biggest issue of all is 1Password 6 and 1Password 7 have different data files. It means your data will quickly deviate from one another and I’d hate to even think about the sync loops you might accidentally find yourself in.

So long story short, use one version of 1Password on your Mac. In retrospect “collisions” is probably the best short story after all! 😂

Hi Daki,

This is a great question! We put the link for purchasing the standalone license directly in the upgrade screens that you’ll see after you install and launch the beta. In other words we have it set up as an in-app purchase.

As much as I’d love to link you to the store directly, the $39.99 special is specifically for beta testers. We need the license upgrade process tested as much as anything else so we need you going through the app and sharing any confusion or pain points you may experience.

Please give the beta a try and let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

• DaKi
      DaKi says:

Hello Dave!

Thanks for the information.
      Version7 installed on my Test-Mac and bought with my Real-Name Mailaddress ;-)

Best Regards!

2. Paul Adams
    Paul Adams says:

OK, so I give up. How does the new Safari browser extension work? Can’t figure out how to get it working, and the old Safari extension is not working.

Hi Paul,

I’m sorry for the trouble. The installer is supposed to take care of everything for you but there are potential edge cases.

First things first, can you confirm that you’ve gone to Safari > Preferences and verify that 1Password is enabled within the Extensions pane? If not, please enable it and go from there.

If enabling doesn’t help or it was already enabled, please quit Safari and restart it. That is usually enough to get any gremlins out of the system.

Note that there are a few issues that have been fixed in the latest beta of macOS 10.13.4. I’m guessing you’re not on the macOS beta channel yet, but if you or anyone reading this would like to be, you can enrol in the macOS beta here. It’s not required though as simply restarting Safari is enough to solve the issues we know of.

Please give that a go and let us know how it turns out.

Thanks!

• Jerod
      Jerod says:

I’m with Paul. I can’t get the extension to work. Verified it did install, but the extension is just greyed out. Clicking it does nothing. I also can’t do cmd + / to have the password fields automatically fill in now.

Hi Jerod,

I’m sorry for the trouble. One thing I’d like you to verify is that you are not running from your Downloads folder. If 1Password is currently located there please move it to your /Applications folder and run from there. That should help.

If not, please create a thread in our discussions forum so our team can help debug the issue. It’s much easier to include screenshots there and troubleshoot in general.

I hope that helps!

Hello again, Thomas. 🙂

I’m not sure I’m following you 100%. To get nested tags you add a forward slash in your tag name simulate a “folder” structure. To go backwards you just need to change your tag names to not have slashes in them.

Perhaps I misunderstood your question though. Please let me know if that’s the case and I’ll try again. I’ll be here all day so I’m happy to keep talking! 😂

Please let me know if that helps.

• Thomas
      Thomas says:

@Dave ,
      I had the slash at the beginning of the tads name. it created a new empty entry.
      Removing it, does not do anything.
      How can I post a screenshot of how that looks?

• Sara Teare
      Sara Teare says:

I don’t know – the 6 has grown too! They’ve added 647 and 437, so I think a call out to the 7s is a part of the plan. As Drake says, he can’t do this on his own ;)

Hi Clint,

That’s an excellent question! I can see you’ve beta tested before. 🙂

You’re A-OK to use 1Password 7 with your 1Password Families account regardless of which version of 1Password your family decides to use. Both 1Password 6 and 1Password 7 use the same sync protocols so you’re fine to mix and match versions on your own machines as well (as long as you don’t run both on the same machine you’ll be good).

Happy beta testing! Please let us know how it goes.

3. Jon
    Jon says:

I have the standalone license for both my Mac and iPhone. So I have a few questions…
    *If I purchase the Mac standalone license, what will I have to do to get the standalone upgrade for my iPhone? Or is the 7 version on iPhone already the counterpart to the upcoming version 7 on the Mac?
    *Also, will each new update require purchasing a new standalone license from here on out? So a year or so from now when you release 8, will I have to pay for that one as well? I’m just trying to weigh the option of standalone vs subscription. I prefer the standalone vs subscription model.

By the way, love 1Password. I always recommend this app to people.

Thanks

Hi Jon, 👋

You have some great questions here. Let’s see if I can give you some equally great answers. 🙂

As you say, 1Password 7 for iOS is already a thing. We released it back in November of last year and we decided to make it a free upgrade for everyone. That won’t always be the case going forward but going from 6 to 7 was free. And you’re right, this is the counterpart to the upcoming version 7 on Mac.

As for 1Password 8 for Mac, when it becomes a reality it will be a paid upgrade. 1Password 7 is our first paid upgrade in 5 years and quite frankly we waited too long. There are a ton of reasons why we elected to go with free upgrades for 1Password 5 and 1Password 6, but going forward we plan on having paid upgrades for each major new release.

I hope I managed to answer your questions. Thanks again for the questions, Jon, and thank you so much for recommending 1Password! We live and die by word of mouth and wouldn’t be able to work at our dream job without awesome customers like you. ❤️

4. J.B.
    J.B. says:

Hi, I’ve installed 1Password 7 but somehow it didn’t delete 1Password 6. When is “eventually” in this context?

I also ran 1Password 6 after installing and launching 1Password 7. So far there’s no issues, but I’m not willing to take any more chances. What do you recommend I do now? Should I uninstall both from my machine and install just 1Password 7 to start with a clean slate?

Hi J.B.,

First and foremost, there’s no need to panic as 1Password 6 and 1Password 7 use different data folders so there’s no worry of data corruption or anything horrible like that. I think I made things sound more serious than they were and I apologize for that. Having both installed and running at various times is “just” going to cause confusion and likely non-working browser extensions, but all your data will be fine.

This is why I didn’t have big red letters in the post or tons of warnings.

With that said, it’s much simpler and easier for everyone if you simply remove 1Password 6 from your system while beta testing version 7. As long as you’re syncing your data you’ll be fine in the unexpected event that you decide to go back to version 6.

For you personally, I would simply move 1Password 6 to the Trash and then launch 1Password 7. When 1Password 7 starts it tells any older copies of 1Password that may be running to quit, so you should be A-OK there.

I hope that helps. Please give it a go and let us know how it turns out.

5. Polly Clive
    Polly Clive says:

Hi Dave – the beta is beautiful! I can’t wait to spend some serious time getting to know it better. I’ve been on beta for 1Password 6 for ages, so it it best to simply delete 1P6 from the applications folder, or is there a more thorough way of doing it prior to exclusively using 1Password 7? Many thanks, and congratulations. Polly

Hi Polly! 👋

It’s so great to hear from you again. It’s been a while. I hope you’ve been doing well. 🤗

So the answer to your question really depends on you. We plan to have the automatic updater in 1Password 6 show an alert to all beta users and install the beta automatically. That will be really nice, but we’re likely not going to be ready with this for a week or two, so unless you want to wait you’ll need to install manually.

If you decide to go the manual way, just download 1Password 7 and launch it. Doing so should automatically close down 1Password 6 for you. You can then run 1Password 7 to your heart’s content. Ideally you’ll never launch 1Password 6 simply to avoid any possible confusion it might cause. With that in mind, it’s probably best to just remove 1Password 6 from your system for now. It’s only a download link away if you ever end up needing it again.

I hope that helps. Take care Polly and stay awesome as you always do. ❤️