The 1Password 7 Beta for Mac Is Lit and You Can Be, Too

Guess what, Mac fam? 1Password 7 for Mac is on its way! 🎉👏

This first beta is just a taste of what’s to come and it’s already packed full of new features and improvements. Here’s what we have so far.

Beta bling

The awesome starts with the lock screen but the real magic happens when those doors open.

Enhanced sidebar

1Password 7 comes at you fast with its bold, beautiful sidebar. The sidebar shows more information than ever, but the dark theme and monochrome icons allow you to focus your attention on what matters most: your items.

Drag and drop

You can now see all your vaults in the sidebar. This makes it easy to drag and drop items between vaults to organize them. You can even drag them between two different accounts. And if you drag items onto New Vault, a vault will be created for you right there and then. It’s never been easier to share and organize your information.

Easily edit vaults

With the new sidebar it seemed fitting to allow you to manage your vaults directly from there. So that’s what we did. Edit vault names, change their descriptions, choose an avatar or upload your own. All without ever leaving 1Password.

Rich formatting in notes

Are you feeling bold? How about emphatic? You can now express your emotions in secure notes. Use Markdown in any of your notes to add clickable links, ordered and unordered lists, and eye catching styles.

Nested tags

Tag fanatics rejoice! Not only can you organize your items with tags but you can also organize your tags. There’s an Inception joke here somewhere; while you wait for me to find it, add a forward slash to your tag names and 1Password will do the rest.

Pop-out items

If you use lots of different apps on your Mac or enjoy viewing multiple items at once, you’re going to love this: click the icon on the toolbar and your item details are whisked away into a new sticky window that will stick around until you dismiss it.

Our own font: Courier Prime Bits

No design is ever complete without finding the perfect font. We’ve added a beautiful custom font created specifically for 1Password called Courier Prime Bits (based on the lovely Courier Prime). Alan Dague-Greene is the creative genius behind this font and it makes your passwords look alive.

Finding pwned passwords 🕵🏼‍♀️

Troy Hunt has collected more than 500 million passwords from various breaches in his Have I Been Pwned? database. Easily check if your password is among them.

Secure Enclave for Touch ID

Secure Enclave protects your Master Password when Touch ID is enabled. This greatly improves your security when using Touch ID because the encryption keys are protected by the hardware in your Mac and are not accessible to any other programs or the operating system.

Safari App Extension

Our Safari extension now comes built in to 1Password 7. There’s no need to manage it separately, it updates whenever 1Password updates, and it’s more secure to boot!

Single process architecture

We completely rearchitected 1Password 7 to run within a single process. This eliminates connection issues between the main app and mini, greatly speeds up loading, and improves performance everywhere.

Grab bag of lit-ness

The changelog for beta 1 is huge. Coming in at nearly 100 additional features and improvements, it’s literally too much to read. Here are the CliffsNotes (or Coles Notes if you’re reppin’ Canada):

• Collapse the sidebar entirely so your items get all the love
  • Share vaults directly from the sidebar
  • Easily see your currently selected vault and account
  • Login details now highlight one-time passwords
  • Tags are monogrammed with their initials
  • Select which vaults to focus on right from the sidebar
  • Quickly find items with our new Spotlight integration
  • Use Handoff to view iOS items right from your Dock
  • Login icons have never looked better

Get it now

Getting lit with beta 1 is easy!

Download 1Password 7 Beta For Mac

1Password 7 is included free for everyone with a 1Password membership. Simply unlock 1Password after downloading and you’re good to go.

Those of you with a standalone license for version 6 will be prompted to subscribe or purchase a license when the beta first opens. Licenses will be available for $64.99 when we launch later this year, but are available now for only $39.99. You can also try a membership and start enjoying 1Password 7 today with your first month free.

We’re looking forward to sharing more surprises with you on our journey towards 1Password 7. In the meantime, please join us in our beta forums and help craft the future of 1Password. We always love hearing from you. 😘

P.S. This post was heavily inspired by asking the question that we should all ask ourselves from time to time: what would Drake say? I think I got close but if you know Drake, please ask and let me know. 🙂

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. Johannes
    Johannes says:

Hello everyone,
    I cannot buy a new license cause 1Password shuts down.
    Even if I want to import a backup etc..
    Not working for me at all :(

I’m so sorry, Johannes! This is certainly not the first experience we were hoping for. We’ll get this fixed up.

Can you please go to our beta discussions forum and report this issue? It’s much easier to debug issues there and our developers are watching there as well so they’ll be able to work with you to track down the issue.

Thanks for the report and thank you in advance for posting it to the forums. ❤️

2. Thierry
    Thierry says:

Hello. I’ve bought the version beta 7 and still have the 6 on my computer. If I don’t open 6 no problems ? or should I delete the 6 one ? And how ?
    Thanks

Hi Thierry,

Personally I would delete 1Password 6 simply so I could never launch it by accident. If you’re anything like me and find yourself launching the wrong app by accident, you’ll want to follow suit. 🙂

If you’re much better at the app launcher, you’re fine to keep 1Password 6 installed. Still, since you can download 1Password 6 at any time, it’s probably best you just move 1Password 6 to the Trash while you beta test. With any luck 1Password 7 will treat you well and you’ll never need to downgrade, and given what I’ve seen so far, you’re not likely to need to go down that path. 🙂

I hope that helps.

Thank you so much for saying so, Mikey! Your kind words are fuel for our fire. 🔥

You Sir have made it easy for us to stay lit! 😉

Hello Kunal,

Thank you for the great question and giving me the chance to answer it.

Licenses for 1Password 7 are available for individuals only so there is no family license to in the beta nor will there be one in the final release later this year. You can purchase multiple licenses with our special upgrade pricing, but we recommend our 1Password Families membership instead. We created 1Password Families specifically for sharing 1Password with your family. At only $4.99 a month, it’s less than $1 per family member and includes all platforms as well as all upgrades for free.

1Password Families also has some great sharing features that will allow you to keep your family safe and in the loop with the latest passwords. Perfect for Netflix! 🙂

I hope that helps. Take care,

Hi Bob, 👋

This beta supports iCloud syncing so you’re A-OK. As for iOS, we’re not aware of any issues whatsoever. We’ve been using 1Password 7 internally for months now and it’s been quite solid. If you do run into any issues please do let us know so we can get them fixed up.

Take care and enjoy the beta!

3. Javier Matusevich
    Javier Matusevich says:

Will the 40 dollar pricing remain available next month? I want the discount, but this month is not great in my finances to pay for it.

Hi Javier,

This is a tricky question for me to answer as you’re asking me to foretell the future. It’s risky business and I get it wrong all the time, but in this case I think you’re probably fine. My guess is we’ll need at least a month of beta testing before taking the next step. We have an amazing Mac team who have surprised me many times before, however, so it’s not written in stone.

With that said, there is an easier way. $39.99 is a big outlay all at once so you can always give our 1Password membership a try. For only $3.99 you’d be able to start using 1Password 7 today. In fact, you get your first month free so you could start now for nothing and come next month you could purchase the annual plan for only $2.99 a month.

Which ever way you choose, please let us know how the beta goes, where we’re doing great, and where we can improve.

4. Charles Bailey
    Charles Bailey says:

I like the look of the improvements and will happily subscribe — I’m on a standalone license right now (not App Store). Quick question regarding subscriptions — I can still use a WLAN Server setup for syncing to my iPhone/iPad? A subscription doesn’t end up with my data having to be hosted in the cloud, does it? I absolutely, positively am never going to host my collection of credentials online.

I’m currently running 6.8.8 on macOS 10.13.4 (beta).

Hey Charles! 👋

Thank you so much for the kind words.

I would love to have you subscribe as it makes so many things easier and more secure, but WLAN Sync is not available with a membership. You’ll need to purchase a license for 1Password 7 if you want to continue syncing your data through WLAN Sync within your local network.

With that said, I’m curious to know more about your needs and requirements and why you chose WLAN Sync. Many times we are able to help find a better option depending on what the issue is.

Is it that you prefer your data not to be in the U.S.A.? If so we have additional data centres in Montreal, Canada as well as in Frankfurt, Germany. Choosing either of those will keep your data out of the United State of America if that’s important to you.

Or is WLAN Sync “required” because of firewalls or corporate policies at work? Firewalls can often be configured to allow 1Password memberships, and while we admittedly can’t do anything regarding internal corporate policies, our 1Password membership service is SOC2 certified, HIPAA compliant, and adheres to GDPR regulations. Often times companies with very strict regulations who think they can’t use 1Password change their tune once they learn this.

Interestingly enough, we have a huge energy company in Germany using 1Password and I doubt it would be possible to find any company with more strict corporate controls than a German infrastructure company. Once they learned about our compliance certifications and our datacenter in Frankfurt, they were more than happy to adopt 1Password across their entire organization. If this is what’s driving your needs, our sales team would be happy to talk with your security and infrastructure teams to help them get 1Password approved for use within your company.

Other times it’s a feeling of security as there is a misconception that WLAN Sync is more secure that storing your data “in the cloud”. It’s just a misconception, however, as our security design for 1Password memberships is unparalleled.

Our security starts will all your data being end-to-end encrypted using both your Master Password and your Secret Key. The Secret Key is generated for you during signup and consists of 128 bits of random data that is combined with your Master Password while encrypting your data. This greatly increases the security of your data while it is stored on our servers because your Secret Key is never sent to us. It means that even if an attacker managed to steal a copy of your encrypted data from our servers, it would be infeasible for them to ever decrypt it, even if you use a weak Master Password.

When combined with Secure Remote Password and all the other things described on our Security page and White Paper, you can see why it’s easy for me to argue that our 1Password memberships are more secure than WLAN Sync.

Our open and transparent design allows me to sleep well at night even with millions of users entrusting us with their data. But of course it’s not just use they trust. It’s also the mathematics of encryption and the security design we have chosen. Together along with our $100,000 bug bounty, I do manage to sleep quite well at night. What keeps me up at night is customers who are managing their data themselves without the data access protection provided by our membership service, but alas, that is another story.

Last but not least, it needs to be said that WLAN Sync is hard to use as well. I remember when I used to use it I would always find myself without my data because I forgot to sync before leaving my house. It was a huge relief when I switched to securely syncing my data to the cloud as my data was always available when I needed it.

Looking back I see I’ve written 649 words and I’m still typing, so I apologize for giving you so much to read. It’s an important topic, however, so I wanted to make sure I touched on every aspect of it. I hope you manage to read this far and that you found this helpful.

• Charles Bailey
      Charles Bailey says:

Thank you for your many thoughtful words. I have a background in writing, so I appreciate a great write-up. :)

I have no doubts that the online syncing methods that 1Password offers are extremely secure. I have been using 1Password for almost four years now and I have come to trust the quality of AgileBits’ work with loads of very sensitive data. I’ve used a couple of other password management systems in the past but none of them comes close to the quality and features of 1Password. So understand that I am TOTALLY in your corner.

But it’s been my longstanding policy to only host online data if I absolutely must do it, and only if it’s low risk with substantial reward. Take iCloud for example — yeah, there’s some semi-sensitive information in there, like calendar appointments and I guess spammers might enjoy sifting all my contacts’ email addresses. But there’s no SSNs in there. No credit cards. No passwords. I keep my iCloud account as secure as I can but I consider the information fairly low risk. Plus it’s essential I keep all my devices in sync up-to-the-minute so there’s a lot of benefit in keeping this stuff online. The low risk and high reward makes iCloud comfortable to me.

I want to maintain absolute control of the stuff I put into 1Password. I host it on my Mac and sync locally to a couple of iPhones and iPads in my house. I know 1Password stores the vault on my Mac in encrypted fashion, so that’s a great start. And I’ve got a Time Machine backup of that data but that drive is encrypted, so even if someone breaks into my house and steals my Time Machine drive, it’s an encrypted database inside an encrypted drive — I feel pretty safe about that.

The only copy that really leaves my control is an online CrashPlan backup of my 1Password data folder. It’s out of my hands but — again — it’s an encrypted database inside an encrypted backup. So I’m about as comfortable as I could be with that copy of my data being held by someone else.

While 1Password offers many convenient and secure forms of online syncing, I just don’t sync that often that the 24/7 feature is important to me. Frequency of changes is low enough that I’m fine by just making a reminder on my calendar every other week to make sure I’ve synced-up. No matter how secure storing my data online would be, you can’t get safer than “the data is not there”.

I very, very, VERY much appreciate that 1Password 7 (standalone, at least) will continue to support WLAN Sync. I’ll wait, and I’ll pay extra for it. To be totally honest, if that feature ever gets dropped, I’ll either stop upgrading or find another product, no matter how terrible by comparison another product would be.

Looking forward to 7 when it’s available for me. Thanks for all the hard work AgileBits puts into its products!

Cool. Thanks for sharing your thought, Charles. Looks like WLAN Sync is definitely for you. 🙂

Thank you for all the kind words and I’m glad you’re as excited about 1Password 7 as we are! ❤️

Hi Tom,

I can’t speak for you personally as you’ll have your own set of risk tolerances, but I can tell you that I have been using 1Password 7 for months now and I’ve been using it with my real life data. The majority of our team has been as well, albeit some of our support folks needed to stick with version 6 so they could better help our customers.

1Password 7 keeps the same battle-hardened sync protocols as version 6 used so that should give you some reassurance as well.

So I’m perfectly happy recommending using 1Password 7 with your real data but in the end the decision is yours. If you don’t feel comfortable, I can honestly say that I don’t want you using the beta. We love having happy customers and the last thing I want to do is to force you into something you’re not comfortable with.

In sum, I hope you join our beta family but if it’s not your cup of tea, please do wait for the official release later this year.

Hi Max,

Ah, you’re a cross platform warrior, eh? I am too. 🙂

In terms of licenses, if you purchase a standalone license, it is purchased per person, per platform. So yes, you will need to purchase them separately.

I find managing licenses a pain so I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention that our 1Password memberships give you access to all our apps on every platform, including web access, for only $2.99 a month. All updates and paid upgrades are also included for no additional cost with a membership. We also have family and business plans available depending on your needs.

I hope that helps. Take care,

Hi Tara, 👋

This is a great question. I love it when I have an excuse to talk about data formats! 🙂

1Password 7 uses the same data formats (note the plural!) as 1Password 6, so if you are sticking with the same format, there is no change. With that said, there are some specifics we should cover.

First, there is a data format we created about a decade ago called the Agile Keychain. This version is old and will be completely deprecated in 1Password 7. Going forward you will only be able to import data from Agile Keychains. Any exporting or syncing will be going to one of our newer formats.

If you elect to go with a standalone vault 1Password will sync your data using the OPVault data format. Like all our formats this is a completely open and transparent design. You can read all the details here: OPVault design.

If you choose our membership service you’ll get another open and transparent design that you can read all about in our White Paper. In addition to more modern encryption algorithms, you’ll also get a Secret Key to increase the security of your data as well as Secure Remote Password to provide additional protection for your Master Password.

Either path you choose will give you the opportunity to read some excellent prose from Jeff Goldberg. I always love reading his writing and having folks like you ask about data formats is one of the best motivators to get him writing. So thank you for that. 🙂

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »