Introducing 1Password Business

Since 2015, over 30,000 businesses have signed up for 1Password Teams and discovered how 1Password can help them be secure while also increasing their productivity.

We’ve learned a lot by working with these companies and found that what works for a team of 20 doesn’t necessarily work for a company of 20,000. So we got to work.

Today, I am thrilled to announce the results of that work: 1Password Business. 🎉

1Password Business

1Password Business provides the features you need as a larger team. It gives you the tools to protect your employees, secure your most important data, and stay compliant. Your administrators will love it for the control it gives them, and your employees will love how easy it is to use.

Control access and be compliant

GDPR, HIPAA, SOC2, PCI, PIPEDA… man, there’re enough compliance requirements to make your head spin.

Thankfully, 1Password helps by keeping you in control of who has access to what. Each employee gets a place to store their private, work-related passwords. But there are times when passwords need to be shared. For those times, it’s easy to share passwords with only the people who need them.

Fine-grained permissions – give employees exactly the access they need.
Custom Groups and Roles – organize your staff and their access.
Device Restrictions – limit where access is granted.
Managed Travel Mode – restrict employee access when travelling.

Control access and be compliant

We ourselves are growing quickly and long gone are the days where everyone worked on every project. We are looking to hire another 100 people this year, and 1Password helps us stay compliant with our SOC2 regulations as we grow.

Automated provisioning

Sometimes you are growing so fast, or have gotten so large, that no matter how simple the onboarding steps, they just aren’t fast enough. In these cases automation comes to your rescue.

Active Directory Integration – automate provisioning and de-provisioning.
Okta Integration – allow Okta to manage your team for you.
Command line Integration – integrate 1Password into your custom business flows.

Automated provisioning

Now that we are starting to use Azure AD ourselves, onboarding those next 100 people should be a breeze. 😉

Adding a second third factor

1Password protects your passwords behind both your Master Password and your Secret Key. Now you can add yet another layer of protection with our multi-factor authentication (MFA) support.

Team members can turn on two-factor authentication to further protect their 1Password accounts. Or, if your company uses Duo, you can require its use for your entire team.

Multi-factor authentication

Advanced auditing and reporting

In 1Password Business, we’ve created some super useful reports for you and your administrators. It’s never been easier to keep track of everything happening on your team.

Employee Access Report – see which shared passwords an employee has used.
Shared Password Report – audit shared passwords to see who has used them.
Activity Log – review administrative actions taken by your team.
Action Dashboard – view activities that are awaiting your action.

Advanced auditing and reporting

Free family accounts

Worth more than $50 per user

Your business data is only as safe as your employees’ habits. If anyone brings unsafe password habits from home into your work environment, they put your entire business at risk. Now, you can protect your business by keeping those you work with safe at home.

With 1Password Business, each employee on your team gets a free 1Password Families membership. This way they can learn the habits they need to protect themselves and your company.

Try 1Password Business today

Sign up today for a free 30 day trial and see for yourself how 1Password can help your company. Your data will be more secure and your employees more productive than ever.

If you have any questions or would like to schedule a demo, contact our business team. We’ll be happy to show you how 1Password can work for your business. After using 1Password for a few weeks at your company I promise you’ll wonder how you ever lived without it!

• Shiner
      Shiner says:

Hi @Tom,

There is no minimum number of users for a 1Password Business account. The advanced features and free family accounts can be enjoyed by companies of any size. 😀

• Rick Fillion
      Rick Fillion says:

Hi Chris,

Our goal is to make it possible to provision with more than ActiveDirectory and Okta. We’re supporting these by having implemented SCIM 2.0 which is standard for making automatic provisioning happen from a directory service. Technically speaking it’d be possible to use any directory service that supports SCIM 2.0.

I’ve not used Jumpcloud.com myself so I’m not sure if they support SCIM or not (google seems to indicate that it’s a no). If they support it, then I suspect it should be possible to use jumpcloud for provisioning 1Password accounts eventually.

Rick

1. Phillip
    Phillip says:

(I’m not an IT pro) We’re a small team and automated provisioning sounds cool. Some services (e.g. Quickbooks, ProsperWorks) allow our staff to log in using their Google account which makes it easier for us to manage accounts and we can just focus on making our Google accounts as secure as possible. Any plans to provide similar functionality (somehow create a 1password account based on Google account credentials)? So when it comes to de-provisioning when a staff person leaves, all I have to do is close their Google account and automatically the user would lose access to the 1password account.

• Rick Fillion
      Rick Fillion says:

Hi Phillip,

That’s a great question. The industry standard for accomplishing what you’re talking about is called SAML. SAML (and alikes) does two things as you’re likely aware: it allows a user to use the credentials for one service (in this case Google) to sign in to another service (Quickbooks in your example), and secondly it typically also manages provisioning and deprovisioning. The second part of that is what we’re currently looking to solve. The first part is something that we aren’t likely to bring to 1Password. Authentication in 1Password doesn’t work like most services and you can’t have an identity provider vouch for your authenticity. You could, but it won’t do you much good. 1Password’s authentication is encryption based and requires derivation of encryption keys, which requires both your Master Password and Secret Key. Without those two things, 1Password won’t be able to talk to our server and decrypt your data.

I hope that helps explain things.

Rick

• Rick Fillion
      Rick Fillion says:

Hi Steve,

As I mentioned to Andrew, OneLogin support is something we’re interested in but it will take more time. I’m glad to see that you’re interested in it. :)

Rick

• Rick Fillion
      Rick Fillion says:

Hi Andrew,

You’re right, OneLogin does support SCIM 2.0. OneLogin is one of the directory service providers that’s on our list to look into. They require that apps be added to their directory as opposed to other providers which allow an arbitrary SCIM connection to be made. This will mean that it’ll take us a little longer to get there, but I’m hopeful that we’ll be supporting OneLogin soon enough.

Rick

• Andre Lackmann
      Andre Lackmann says:

OneLogin can support arbitary SCIM connections using custom templates. We have implemented this with other providers.

• Rick Fillion
      Rick Fillion says:

Well then, that’s great news to hear. We aren’t pros at every directory service, as you can see. This should mean that OneLogin support should be able to happen sooner. If you contact our business team and let them know that you’re looking for OneLogin support and are willing to beta test things we could help you out with that.

Rick

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Andrew! There is absolutely a Teams to Business path, but what it looks like will be a bit different depending on how your team business is currently using 1Password. Our business sales team is filled with 1Password Business experts waiting on the edge of their seats to talk to you about it, so I’ve passed your e-mail address along to them so they can get in touch and you can chat about getting down to business. 😊

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Peter! Depending on how your business is currently using 1Password Teams, the migration path will be a bit different and the best folks to help you out with that are our Business sales team. I’ve passed your e-mail address along to them so they can get in touch and they’ll be just delighted to answer any questions you may have about making the transition and 1Password Business in general. 😊

• Peter Black
      Peter Black says:

Hi Kate
      I thought I must be missing something, as it seems such an obvious question. Your answer leaves me slightly confused, so perhaps you can clarify:
      1. Is Teams going away?
      2. We’ve been asking for a number of the features listed to be added to Teams for some time, like Okta integration and custom groups and roles. Will Teams get these?
      3. Why not just migrate all Teams users to Business, since Business looks like Teams v2? Obviously, our concern would be that you will be charging more for Business, even though the feature set is a natural upgrade for Teams.
      Thanks
      Peter

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Peter! No worries at all! In truth, so much has changed here and the transition process is complicated enough that we decided it was best to direct y’all to our Business sales team when you have questions, which is why I kept things short and vague. I double-checked they were able to get in touch and I understand they have, but these questions I can handle, so I’m happy to cover them here. I just don’t want to under-emphasize what a great resource the sales team is. They were deeply involved in the development of 1Password Business, in no small part thanks to requests like yours that motivated us to make these changes, so if you have any questions about what I say here, please don’t hesitate to reach out to them as well. 😊

Is Teams going away?

In short, no. 1Password Teams had two plans – standard and Pro. As part of this transition, Pro is no longer offered and new customers who choose 1Password Teams will get what we previously called the “standard plan.” In addition, if you’re already on the Pro Plan, you won’t be automatically upgraded, so Pro is sticking around in the sense that folks have the option to stick with it, but it won’t be offered to new customers.

I’m going a bit out of order here, but this question naturally follows the prior answer. While we wholly agree 1Password Business is the natural evolution of the Pro plan, we didn’t want to automatically transition folks from Pro to Business. While 1Password Business costs less than the full price of Teams Pro, many of our customers have special pricing ranging from non-profit discounts to early adopter benefits. This means that for some of y’all, 1Password Business may be more expensive than what you’re using right now. Rather than making that decision for you, we thought it better y’all have the opportunity to discuss 1Password Business with our sales team, how it fits your needs, how it fits into your budget, and make your decision from there. Some folks may decide they want to stick with 1Password Teams Pro and that’s just fine. We want you to have to the opportunity to make that choice. 👍

This one is a bit more difficult to answer, because of the varying options available during the transition. These are features of the new 1Password Business and won’t be added to the (technically) new 1Password Teams, but I’d wager you’re wanting to know whether these will become part of your existing 1Password Teams. The short answer is no, but I don’t want to give the impression that means you can’t have them. This all circles back to my original answer in that no matter whether you’re on the Pro plan or the standard plan, there is absolutely a path to 1Password Business for your business.

If you’re interested in making that switch, this is where the sales team will be your best resource. They can discuss your current plan with you, let you know how to switch to 1Password Business, answer any questions you might have about the transition process and the features of 1Password Business, and (gross, I know) talk pricing if needed. I hope they’ve got you covered from here, but if I can do anything else to help, I’m here and happy to lend a hand. 😊

• Peter Black
      Peter Black says:

Hi Kate
      Based on the conversation with the sales team, and your replies, it does seem that Business represents a way of charging for features that were previously anticipated to be part of Teams Pro. I also think there would have been a better way to handle existing customers without simply pointing them at sales. Nothing terrible, really, but probably not what I’d have expected from your company.
      Regards
      Peter

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey, Peter! I think some confusion is developing by having two conversations going here. I touched base with the sales team and we think it would be best if we kept things in one place as I don’t think I’m providing any additional clarity like I’d hoped. You should have a reply from them in your inbox and I think it would be best to continue the conversation there. 👍

• Rick Fillion
      Rick Fillion says:

Hi Jan,

I assume that what you’re asking is whether it’s possible to make something like SharePoint the central authority for the vaults. The answer to that is no… 1Password Business is dependent on our 1Password servers and they handle a lot of the heavy lifting.

Alternatively, you may also be asking whether it’s possible to have a local copy of the passwords you store in 1Password. The answer to that is an emphatic Yes. All of our apps (with the exception of the command-line tool) will automatically store a local copy of everything so that you have a complete copy of your vaults locally on premise, and they will work just fine without an internet connection.

I hope this answers your question. If not let me know and I can take another crack at it.

Rick

2. Daren Reifsneider
    Daren Reifsneider says:

Hi, I have a 1password account through my company, but I am also paying for a personal account. Are you saying I could now roll them up into 1 account and not pay for my personal account? If so, this is great! How would I go about combining them?

• Shiner
      Shiner says:

Hi Daren,

I think it’s great too! 😁

Yes, when you are part of a team that has a 1Password Business account, you get your 1Password Families membership for free.

To combine them, you would link your 1Password account to your business account. You can find a Link a family account button on the My Profile page of your business account. This will generate a special code that you can then enter into the gift card section of your Families account, making it free. We’ve created a Link a family account to your business account guide to walk you through the steps.

Since you have an individual account, you will be upgraded to a Families account as part of these steps. This is pretty sweet as you will not only be able to use 1Password for free yourself, but also share it with up to 5 family members.

If your company is not already on our 1Password Business plan, then they can easily switch on their Billing page, or contact our business team who will be more than happy to help.

3. Patrick
    Patrick says:

It would be nice to have a Shamir’s Secret Sharing feature for high value passwords/OTPs where multiple pass phrases are required to unlock an object.

Sometimes you only want one or two people with access to something but want to avoid any “hit by a bus” situations. :)

• Rick Fillion
      Rick Fillion says:

Hi Patrick,

Yes. Yes it would be. You have no idea how much I want to build something like that. It just sounds like so much fun from a technical perspective.

Rick