1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever

Today is a momentous day! It’s time to take the wraps off something incredible that changes the world as we know it: 1Password 7 for Mac is here! πŸŽ‰πŸ™Œ

There’s a ton of amazing features packed into this release and I couldn’t stop myself from writing a lot about them. If you’d like to start rocking right away, feel free to jump ahead and download 1Password 7 now. For everyone else, it’s my distinct pleasure to share with you the awesome that is 1Password 7.

Marvellous mini

1Password mini is how most of us use 1Password on a daily basis and for version 7 we wanted to make that experience the best it could be.

1Password mini has been completely reimagined and comes with so many features that we needed to give it its own window. When you bring up mini you’ll find it waiting for you with an incredibly powerful and beautiful new look.

While in your browser, mini will automatically suggest the items you’re most likely to need. Select the login you want to sign in with and 1Password will do the rest.

And mini doesn’t limit itself to just browsers. With our new app integration we’ll automatically suggest logins for the current app you’re using. Along with support for drag and drop, this is a real game changer.

You can also make edits, move items between vaults, and even add documents – all without ever leaving mini. Soon you’ll wonder how you ever lived without it. πŸ™‚

Beautiful, bold design

The beauty you’ll find in mini continues throughout the rest of 1Password as well. It all starts with the newly designed lock screen and it looks incredible, especially with Touch ID.

As great as those vault doors look, they pale in comparison to what lies secured behind them.

The first thing that grabs you is the stunning new sidebar. It draws you in with its bold dark theme and delights you with its simplicity.

The new sidebar looks great without being overpowering and the high contrast between it and your content allows your eyes to focus on what’s most important: your items.

Detailing your items

Your items are able to join in on the fun as well with a new design and some lovely new touches. Each of your items now prominently show which vault they belong to and have their most important information highlighted.

If you caught yourself yelling What Are Those?! when looking at the formatted notes field, you’re not alone. You can now give your notes richly formatted text using Markdown! πŸŽ‰

Along with the improved layout and typography, we’ve added a beautiful custom font created specifically for 1Password called Courier Prime Bits (based on the lovely Courier Prime).

Alan Dague-Greene is the creative genius behind this font and it makes large type passwords look absolutely incredible.

Speaking of incredible, when you combine our new custom font with Markdown support, Secure Notes are now at an entirely new level of awesome.

Once you start using Markdown in your notes you’ll find yourself wanting to create a lot of them. And when you do, you can keep your notes and items organized using tags. You can even use nested tags if you want to be fancy.

Oh and if you need to copy fields between items or into another app, you can detach the item details view into its own separate window by clicking the button in the toolbar. This is incredibly useful although to be honest I often find myself clicking it for no other reason than to see the lovely animation. πŸ™‚

Watching out for you

1Password 7 is doubling down on how it keeps you safe online. We have bundled together a suite of security tools that notify you of breaches, warn you of bad habits, and highlight vulnerable passwords. We call it Watchtower and it’s amazing.

Watchtower integrates with Troy Hunt’s haveibeenpwned.com service to see if any of your logins are vulnerable. 1Password securely checks your items against a collection of breached passwords (over 500 million and counting) and notifies you to change them.

And thanks to twofactorauth.org, Watchtower also knows which websites support two factor authentication and will alert you when it finds logins without 2FA enabled.

Watchtower will also alert you to logins that are using an insecure (HTTP) website address, weak passwords, and horror of horrors, reused passwords (seriously, don’t do that!). And finally it’ll even warn you if your credit cards or passports are expiring soon so you don’t miss out on your vacation. 😎

Organize & securely share your items

Let’s get back to that sidebar because there’s more there than meets the eye. Sitting just beneath the surface is a powerful new way to organize and securely share your items.

Simply click on the sidebar header and your categories will slide away, revealing your collection of vaults. Vaults allow you to group your items depending on their purpose and who needs access to them.

You can drag and drop items between vaults and even between accounts. Or, drop your items on the New Vault button and a new vault will be created for you right then and there. It’s so simple it’s like magic.

Once you have your new vault created, sharing it with your team or family couldn’t be easier. Select who you want to have access to your vault and 1Password will do the rest.

Best of all, any updates to the items appear automatically for everyone. It’s easier to share securely with 1Password than being insecure without it. πŸ’ͺ

Strong foundations

Along with all these new features and improvements, a lot of heavy lifting took place to make 1Password 7 faster and secure-er than ever.

It all began by combining 1Password and 1Password mini into a single process. This made items faster to load, reduced memory usage, and decreased launch times. The overall performance boosts made us smile as soon as we saw them and we think they’ll make you smile, too.

Also new in 1Password 7, we’ve taken advantage of Apple’s Secure Enclave to protect your Master Password when Touch ID is enabled. This is incredibly cool because the keys used for encryption are protected by the hardware and not accessible to other programs or the operating system.

And if you’re moving over to our new 1Password memberships, syncing your data is more secure than ever. With the addition of a Secret Key, Secure Remote Password, and Galois/Counter Mode, your data has never been safer. And the speed and reliability is simply unparalleled.

And so much much much more!

I told you at the beginning that I was going to write a lot about 1Password 7 and I could keep going. But in the interest of getting you into 1Password 7 sooner, I’m curtailing the rest into this fancy bulleted list!

• Collapse the sidebar entirely so your items get all the love
  • Quickly find items with our new Spotlight integration
  • Use Handoff to view iOS items right from your Dock
  • Easily see your currently selected vault and account
  • Marvel at the monogrammed icons for tags and logins
  • Edit your vaults directly from the sidebar
  • Enjoy the new password strength meter
  • Remove duplicate items on a per-vault basis
  • Jump to items and vaults with ease using Quick Open
  • Opt in to automatic updates so you can always enjoy the latest and greatest 1Password has to offer

How do I get it?

To start enjoying the best version of 1Password ever built, grab it here:

Download 1Password 7

1Password 7 is included free for everyone with a 1Password membership. Simply unlock 1Password after downloading and you’re good to go.

Those of you with a standalone license for version 6 will be prompted to subscribe or purchase a license when 1Password 7 first opens. Licenses will cost $64.99 but are available during our launch special for only $49.99. Licenses are per-person, per-platform so you can use your single license on as many Macs as you have. 1Password 7 for Windows will be released next week as a separate purchase.

I hope you enjoy 1Password 7 as much as we enjoyed making it for you! We couldn’t have done it without your help. ❀

Please join us in our discussion forums or in the comments below to share your experiences with us and help craft the future of 1Password. We always love hearing from you. 😘

Dave Teare Founder of AgileBits

Thanks!! It’s great hearing your excitement!

1Password has been released on the Mac App Store as of 11 minutes ago and it’s working its way through their servers now. I’m going to go out on a limb and say it will be available “soonishly” πŸ˜‚

1. Joe
    Joe says:

previously when I purchased the license, I was given access to both Mac & Windows platforms. Is this no longer the case with version 7?

Good morning, Joe! β˜€οΈπŸ‘‹

1Password 7 is licensed per-person, per-platform. Each license allows you to use it with as many machines as you have, but Windows and Mac are sold separately and will require a separate purchase.

I hope that helps.

• Ken Taylor
      Ken Taylor says:

I’m in the same boat – I bought the 1Password bundle that covers Windows v4 and Mac v6, will there be a “bundle upgrade”, or is that two upgrades now?

Hi Ken,

You right, to support Windows and Mac you will need two separate licenses as we don’t have a bundle available.

Another option is a 1Password membership. A lot of people have who want both the Mac and Windows platforms have joined our 1Password membership where they get all platforms and free updates and upgrades.

I hope that helps clear things up.

Hi James,

Yup! We can do that. πŸ™‚

Check out 1Password X in the Chrome Web Store and I think you’ll enjoy what you find. 😘

Take care and please let me know how it turns out.

Indeed! You’re totally right, Daniel. I’m looking forward to that as well. πŸ™‚

Thankfully neither of us will need to wait very long as 1Password 7 for Windows will be officially released next week. πŸŽ‰πŸ™‚

• Peter
      Peter says:

This is in reply to @Dave comment below but there’s no “Reply” button on that comment so…

I’m currently running the 1PW 7 beta for Windows and reading the release notes above I’m missing quite a few features from the Mac version. Hopefully they’ll make it to the release next week but it seems unlikely.

The features at the top of the wish list (compiled from the post above):

Fill password in apps
      There’s sort of a solution in place where you can bring up 1PW-mini and right click an item and if 1PW has detected the credential prompt you can choose to fill in the user name directly instead of using copy/paste. But then you have to open 1PW mini again and do the same with the password. And this is also assuming you can guess which of the windows you can choose from in the right click menu is the correct one, which isn’t always obvious.

Keeping 1PW mini open and dragging/dropping like on the Mac seems like a better solution and of course the optimal way would be that it behaves the same as in the browser; just hit the keyboard shortcut and it fills the credentials.

Markdown
      Yes, please.
      Improved Watchtower (https://haveibeenpwned.com/, 2FA-check etc)
      On Windows you have to use the web app right now to access those features.
      Vault handling in app
      Creating/deleting vaults, setting permissions and so on.

Also…The order of “Watchtower”, “Categories” and “Tags” in the sidebar on the Mac is preferable to the order in Windows, where the “Watchtower” equivalent category “Security” is at the bottom. A standardized naming and order would also make it easier for users switching between platforms.

I’m assuming that even if (all) these features aren’t coming to Windows next week, they will be implemented sooner or later, to keep the platforms on the same page?

Hi Peter! πŸ‘‹

These are great questions. You’re right, not all of these features will make it into the 1Password 7 for Windows release next week. A lot of them will eventually in future updates but honestly that’s too far in the future for me to be able to say much more than that in terms of timelines.

In general our plan is to make 1Password 7 for Mac and Windows as consistent with one another as possible. In practice it’s difficult due to many factors but I think comparing 1Password 7 on Mac to the 1Password of Windows it’s pretty clear that we’re getting closer and closer.

Thanks again for the great question. I look forward to talking to you again next week in the comments of my Windows announcement post. πŸ™‚

• Peter
      Peter says:

Oh…I somehow thought my comment would be placed above Dave’s…but it didn’t…so ignore my first statement about replying to Dave’s comment below…

Hi Peter,

No worries. I know navigating the comments UI here isn’t that easy. It’s one of my biggest pet peeves about our blogging system here and something we’re looking to address. Sooner than later I hope. πŸ™‚

2. Dave Teare

Hello again! πŸ‘‹πŸ™‚

I wasn’t able to fit this into the post itself but I wanted to mention that the team and I will be hosting an Ask Me Anything session on June 14th at 2pm EST.

If you’ve ever wondered about our security methods, what it’s like to work for a remote company, or coordinate a product launch, now’s your chance to ask us.

Join us on the 14th, or head over to AMAfeed now to ask your question in advance. As much as I wanted to do this on launch day, I figured it best to wait a bit so you have time to prepare your questions and so we have time to prepare and announce the 1Password 7 for Windows release beforehand. πŸ™‚

I hope to see you then! ❀️

Hi Thomas,

This is a great question!

Creating custom templates is something that is not possible in 1Password 7. The feature you’re alluding to is a beta feature in 1Password for Business and it’s something I’d like to see hit the light of day in the future. There’s quite a bit remaining that needs to be done before we’ll be able to do so.

I hope that helps and I hope you enjoy 1Password 7!

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey, RogΓ©rio! The sky is really the limit with custom templates in 1Password for Business. It is a beta feature so there’s work yet to be done there and it’s presently only available on the web, but you can add whatever fields you’d like. The only hard limit is the available field types. You can learn more about custom fields, including the field types available here. πŸ‘

3. Alejandro Castillo
    Alejandro Castillo says:

If I have 1Password 6 installed (with subscription) on my Mac it will be an automatic update? Or I will need to uninstall and install version 7 ?

Good morning, Alejandro! πŸ‘‹

Normally 1Password 6 will automatically inform you of the new version and ask if you’d like to upgrade. This will be the case in the coming days, but for now you will indeed need to download it manually if you don’t want to wait.

I hope that helps. Take care and enjoy 1Password 7! πŸŽ‰

4. gui
    gui says:

Hi,
    I have been using the program for years. Now I see that version 7 has been released. The upgrade is that free?
    Thanks.

Hi Gui,

I tried to answer those questions in the post. It was a long post, however, so I forgive you if you missed it. πŸ™‚

I’m going to save my wrists from typing and repost that part of the post:

I hope that helps clear things up. Please let me know.

Hi Adam,

1Password 7 is a paid upgrade. On first launch 1Password 7 will find your data and migrate everything over and in the process it will also ask you to subscribe or purchase a new license. Here’s the full details:

I hope that helps.

5. Francois
    Francois says:

Hey Dave,

I am currently enrolled in the “individual” subscription which expires next month. How can I switch to a License for version 7?

Hi Francois,

Your subscription includes 1Password 7 so one option is to continue doing what you’re doing. In fact, there are several features that require access to our servers and so they are unavailable without a membership. Along with the low membership prices, I recommend you do exactly that and stick with your membership.

With that said, if you’d like to go with a license you can purchase one from our FastSpring store. Once purchased, you can download the license file from your email and double click it in Finder to activate it. Afterwards you’ll need to enable standalone vaults under 1Password > Preferences > Advanced, and then move your items into your Primary vault. Also be sure to set up syncing for your Primary vault and back up your data regularly.

I hope that helps. Take care,

Hi Keith,

There’s no set date at this time but it won’t last long. I really wanted to have a launch special so 1Password 6 users had a chance to purchase a new license at a discount but beyond that I didn’t put a whole heck of a lot of thought into it. If I had to guess I’d say a week, maybe two.

Take care Keith, and thank you for supporting us! ❀️

• Shawn
      Shawn says:

Hi Dave, has the launch special ended? I didn’t know 7 had been released until a couple of days ago, when I got back from a trip and saw your June 5 “news & updates” email for the first time. Thanks!

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey, Shawn! I hope you don’t mind my popping in for Dave here. The launch special is still available, but only for a limited time, so I wanted to make sure to let you know before the deal is gone. I hope you enjoyed your trip and enjoy 1Password 7 just as much. πŸ’™πŸ™‚