1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever

Today is a momentous day! It’s time to take the wraps off something incredible that changes the world as we know it: 1Password 7 for Mac is here! πŸŽ‰πŸ™Œ

There’s a ton of amazing features packed into this release and I couldn’t stop myself from writing a lot about them. If you’d like to start rocking right away, feel free to jump ahead and download 1Password 7 now. For everyone else, it’s my distinct pleasure to share with you the awesome that is 1Password 7.

Marvellous mini

1Password mini is how most of us use 1Password on a daily basis and for version 7 we wanted to make that experience the best it could be.

1Password mini has been completely reimagined and comes with so many features that we needed to give it its own window. When you bring up mini you’ll find it waiting for you with an incredibly powerful and beautiful new look.

While in your browser, mini will automatically suggest the items you’re most likely to need. Select the login you want to sign in with and 1Password will do the rest.

And mini doesn’t limit itself to just browsers. With our new app integration we’ll automatically suggest logins for the current app you’re using. Along with support for drag and drop, this is a real game changer.

You can also make edits, move items between vaults, and even add documents – all without ever leaving mini. Soon you’ll wonder how you ever lived without it. πŸ™‚

Beautiful, bold design

The beauty you’ll find in mini continues throughout the rest of 1Password as well. It all starts with the newly designed lock screen and it looks incredible, especially with Touch ID.

As great as those vault doors look, they pale in comparison to what lies secured behind them.

The first thing that grabs you is the stunning new sidebar. It draws you in with its bold dark theme and delights you with its simplicity.

The new sidebar looks great without being overpowering and the high contrast between it and your content allows your eyes to focus on what’s most important: your items.

Detailing your items

Your items are able to join in on the fun as well with a new design and some lovely new touches. Each of your items now prominently show which vault they belong to and have their most important information highlighted.

If you caught yourself yelling What Are Those?! when looking at the formatted notes field, you’re not alone. You can now give your notes richly formatted text using Markdown! πŸŽ‰

Along with the improved layout and typography, we’ve added a beautiful custom font created specifically for 1Password called Courier Prime Bits (based on the lovely Courier Prime).

Alan Dague-Greene is the creative genius behind this font and it makes large type passwords look absolutely incredible.

Speaking of incredible, when you combine our new custom font with Markdown support, Secure Notes are now at an entirely new level of awesome.

Once you start using Markdown in your notes you’ll find yourself wanting to create a lot of them. And when you do, you can keep your notes and items organized using tags. You can even use nested tags if you want to be fancy.

Oh and if you need to copy fields between items or into another app, you can detach the item details view into its own separate window by clicking the button in the toolbar. This is incredibly useful although to be honest I often find myself clicking it for no other reason than to see the lovely animation. πŸ™‚

Watching out for you

1Password 7 is doubling down on how it keeps you safe online. We have bundled together a suite of security tools that notify you of breaches, warn you of bad habits, and highlight vulnerable passwords. We call it Watchtower and it’s amazing.

Watchtower integrates with Troy Hunt’s haveibeenpwned.com service to see if any of your logins are vulnerable. 1Password securely checks your items against a collection of breached passwords (over 500 million and counting) and notifies you to change them.

And thanks to twofactorauth.org, Watchtower also knows which websites support two factor authentication and will alert you when it finds logins without 2FA enabled.

Watchtower will also alert you to logins that are using an insecure (HTTP) website address, weak passwords, and horror of horrors, reused passwords (seriously, don’t do that!). And finally it’ll even warn you if your credit cards or passports are expiring soon so you don’t miss out on your vacation. 😎

Organize & securely share your items

Let’s get back to that sidebar because there’s more there than meets the eye. Sitting just beneath the surface is a powerful new way to organize and securely share your items.

Simply click on the sidebar header and your categories will slide away, revealing your collection of vaults. Vaults allow you to group your items depending on their purpose and who needs access to them.

You can drag and drop items between vaults and even between accounts. Or, drop your items on the New Vault button and a new vault will be created for you right then and there. It’s so simple it’s like magic.

Once you have your new vault created, sharing it with your team or family couldn’t be easier. Select who you want to have access to your vault and 1Password will do the rest.

Best of all, any updates to the items appear automatically for everyone. It’s easier to share securely with 1Password than being insecure without it. πŸ’ͺ

Strong foundations

Along with all these new features and improvements, a lot of heavy lifting took place to make 1Password 7 faster and secure-er than ever.

It all began by combining 1Password and 1Password mini into a single process. This made items faster to load, reduced memory usage, and decreased launch times. The overall performance boosts made us smile as soon as we saw them and we think they’ll make you smile, too.

Also new in 1Password 7, we’ve taken advantage of Apple’s Secure Enclave to protect your Master Password when Touch ID is enabled. This is incredibly cool because the keys used for encryption are protected by the hardware and not accessible to other programs or the operating system.

And if you’re moving over to our new 1Password memberships, syncing your data is more secure than ever. With the addition of a Secret Key, Secure Remote Password, and Galois/Counter Mode, your data has never been safer. And the speed and reliability is simply unparalleled.

And so much much much more!

I told you at the beginning that I was going to write a lot about 1Password 7 and I could keep going. But in the interest of getting you into 1Password 7 sooner, I’m curtailing the rest into this fancy bulleted list!

• Collapse the sidebar entirely so your items get all the love
  • Quickly find items with our new Spotlight integration
  • Use Handoff to view iOS items right from your Dock
  • Easily see your currently selected vault and account
  • Marvel at the monogrammed icons for tags and logins
  • Edit your vaults directly from the sidebar
  • Enjoy the new password strength meter
  • Remove duplicate items on a per-vault basis
  • Jump to items and vaults with ease using Quick Open
  • Opt in to automatic updates so you can always enjoy the latest and greatest 1Password has to offer

How do I get it?

To start enjoying the best version of 1Password ever built, grab it here:

Download 1Password 7

1Password 7 is included free for everyone with a 1Password membership. Simply unlock 1Password after downloading and you’re good to go.

Those of you with a standalone license for version 6 will be prompted to subscribe or purchase a license when 1Password 7 first opens. Licenses will cost $64.99 but are available during our launch special for only $49.99. Licenses are per-person, per-platform so you can use your single license on as many Macs as you have. 1Password 7 for Windows will be released next week as a separate purchase.

I hope you enjoy 1Password 7 as much as we enjoyed making it for you! We couldn’t have done it without your help. ❀

Please join us in our discussion forums or in the comments below to share your experiences with us and help craft the future of 1Password. We always love hearing from you. 😘

Dave Teare Founder of AgileBits

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. Adam
    Adam says:

Guys I asked if v6 users were getting a free upgrade to 7 and my comment was deleted. An answer would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi Adam,

I’m sorry for the confusion. Your comment was in moderation (as all comments do) and I replied to it a few minutes ago. It’s a pretty bad experience as our blogging system here doesn’t show you the pending comment after you reload the page. We’re looking to make improvements here in the future.

Anyway, hopefully you got your answer now. πŸ™‚

Hi Jan!

It’s really up to you. I personally prefer downloading from us directly as it gives me the chance to use betas and historically updates have been much faster (albeit Apple has improved remarkably there recently).

Whichever you prefer is fine but if you really want to know what we would prefer as a developer, I guess the website version would win.

2. Robert
    Robert says:

Hi! The new version of 1Password looks great.
    Maybe you should have mentioned, that this is a new app in the Mac App Store and so you won’t get an automatic update from the old version (if you installed it via the MAS). Therefore you have to install the new version yourself and delete the old one.

Maybe also a link to this blogpost would help understand the reason for that: https://blog.agilebits.com/2018/05/10/getting-1password-7-ready-for-the-mac-app-store/

Cheers,
    Robert

Hi Robert!

It’s a good point and I wrestled with doing exactly that. In the end I decided to keep things as simple as possible in the How do I get it? section as it’s already difficult with the two purchasing models there. That and I was already looking at a draft of over 1500 words and needed to trim rather than add. πŸ™‚

Thanks for mentioning this. It’s good to hear you found it and got it going. I hope you’re enjoying 1Password 7 so far.

Hi James, πŸ‘‹

There’s always been very little differences between the Mac App Store and direct downloads, and with 1Password 7 there is even less as we are now sandboxing the version of 1Password from our website, just like we do in the Mac App Store.

The differences are how automatic updates are handled (in-app by us or in the App Store by Apple) and standalone licenses are only available from our website (Jeff explains why here. Other than that they’re the same.

I hope that helps. Take care and enjoy 1Password 7!

3. Fred
    Fred says:

Is there any special procedure that I have to follow, when I upgrade from the Mac App Store Version 6 to Mac App Store Version 7 of 1Password?

Will 1Password 7 be installed as a new (separate) App by the Mac App Store or will it automatically replace Version 6?

Great question, Fred!

1Password 7 is a separate app in the Mac App Store so it will be installed alongside your existing 1Password 6 app. You won’t need the old version, however, so once you’re happy and have all your data migrated over, I recommend moving the old version to the Trash.

Out with the old, in with the new! πŸ™‚

Thanks so much for saying so, Matt! 😘

It’s great to hear you’re enjoying 1Password 7 and thank you so much for supporting us! ❀️

4. Pavel
    Pavel says:

What a stupid update… No clear instructions to migrate from 6 to 7. Downloaded 7 from your website, and during installation it deleted my previous 6 version, and when I try to sync it with Dropbox, it asks for a non-existent “.opvault” file, which of course I can’t find in the 1Password folder on my Dropbox…

Hi Pavel,

I’m sorry for the trouble! It’s certainly not the way things should have gone. Everything was supposed to be automatic and for most people it was, so we’re going to need to dig a bit here to see what happened.

Off the top 1Password 7 no longer syncs to the older Agile Keychain format and will automatically migrate your data to the newer OPVault format. When you say you can’t find that file on Dropbox are you checking your Dropbox folder on Mac or is this from iOS?

If from iOS, I’m guessing there is a caching issue there. Often removing the Dropbox app temporarily fixes the cache issue. If on Mac, please collect a Diagnostics Report for us so we can see what’s happening and send it to support+urgent@1password.com:

Please let me know how it turns out.

5. David Redfearn
    David Redfearn says:

I have the stand-alone versions of 1Password for Mac (V6) and for iOS. If I don’t want to adopt the subscription model, and purchase 1Password 7 for Mac, does that mean that (eventually) I will also have to buy an update to the iOS version of 1Password? I’m OK with that as long as there is no functional difference (e.g., synchronizing passwords across the Mac and iOS products).

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey, David! Actually 1Password 7 for iOS was released a while back now and was a free upgrade, so you may already have it and just not have noticed the version change. Automatic updates are magical like that at times. πŸŽ‰ Of course, I can’t predict the future, but for this version purchasing a license for 1Password 7 for Mac will have you all covered on the Apple side of things. πŸ‘πŸ»

On the other hand, a 1Password membership would have you covered across all of your devices both now and whenever we decide to hop on this roller coaster again and release 1Password 8 and 1Password 9 and … well, you get the idea. All along with the other great features our hosted service makes possible. It’s up to you, of course, but some food for thought. πŸ™‚

6. Cooper
    Cooper says:

Oh great. I subscribe to 1p after many years of buying and updating only to find the next great version (7) only works on Sierra and above. Unfortunately my machine can only work up to El Capitan.
    So thank you Apple (for not updating Pro machines for years) and thank you 1P (For restricting the OS used).

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Cooper! I’m sorry to hear you’re unable to use 1Password 7 on your Mac! Limiting operating systems is always a hard choice, especially when Macs can keep chugging along long after they no longer get updates. My 2010 MacBook Pro can technically run even High Sierra, but I find anything beyond El Capitan seems to slow it down, so I’m in the same boat on one machine and I do very much miss 1Password 7 when I have to use it. But! I’ve found using 1Password X on that Mac makes me miss it a bit less.

Although the main 1Password 7 app has a ton of cool features, a lot of the awesome came in the form 1Password mini and, won’t you know it, 1Password X looks and works a heck of a lot like the new mini. Plus, all it requires is the latest version of Chrome (or Firefox), which will run all the way back to Yosemite. It works amazingly on my Dino-Mac (as I affectionately call that old MacBook Pro) and would totally encourage you to give it a try. It’s a great way to enjoy cutting edge 1Password on a perhaps not so cutting edge Mac. Plus, if you’re looking for Watchtower 2.0, all of those great features are also available on 1Password.com. πŸ‘πŸ»

I know it stings to feel like you’re missing out on something exciting like 1Password 7, but hopefully you have a new Mac in your not-too-distant future and, when you get it, your 1Password membership will have you covered. In the meantime, I hope 1Password X provides enough excitement to tide you over. πŸ’™πŸ™‚

7. Tommi
    Tommi says:

I use version 6 not as a membership. Do I have to become a member now? And can I use it on all my devices then (well, my Mac Pro won’t run version 7, can I still use & in this case?)

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey, Tommi! You can absolutely use a 1Password membership on all of your devices. A 1Password membership has you covered everywhere – Mac, iOS, Windows, Android, even Linux and ChromeOS with 1Password X – both now and in the future when we get around to releasing another upgrade (future upgrades are included with your subscription). Speaking of 1Password X, it’s also an awesome way to use 1Password on an older device. Like you, I have one Mac that is a bit behind the times. Can it run Sierra? Yes. Should it? Apple says yes, but the spinning wheel of death I get when trying to use it says no, so I’ve stuck with El Capitan and use 1Password X when I’m on that trusty old MacBook Pro. As I mentioned in a prior reply, 1Password X only requires the latest Chrome or Firefox, each of which can run alllll the way back to Yosemite. It’s an awesome way to keep enjoying the latest and greatest 1Password has to offer, even if you can’t run the latest and greatest macOS. And, of course, a 1Password membership has you covered there too. πŸ‘πŸ»

Beyond the apps, your 1Password membership also includes great features made possible by our hosted service like automatic sync, secure sharing with a Family membership, item history, and Travel Mode, just name a few. Plus, it’s free for 30 days, so you can give it a try without paying a dime. Take some time to explore the new features – both of 1Password 7 and your membership itself. I’d bet you’ll love it, but if you don’t, you can always change your mind and grab a license instead. πŸ’™πŸ™‚

• Tommi
      Tommi says:

So I can use Password X on my old Mac and Password 7 on all other devices with only one membership, is that correct?

That’s right, Tommi!

Your 1Password membership unlocks everything, everywhere. Well, everything but your vaults. You still need your Master Password for that! πŸ˜‚

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »