1Password 7 for Windows is here!

1Password 7 for Windows: The Best Ever

Hot on the heels of last week’s 1Password 7 for Mac announcement, I’m pleased as punch to unveil the best version of 1Password for Windows ever: 1Password 7 for Windows is here! ๐ŸŽ‰ ๐Ÿ‘

This is a massive release where quite literally everything has changed. Seriously, every bit and every pixel has been recreated from scratch using the latest and greatest technologies to make 1Password the best it can be.

From an incredible new design to having all your vaults in one place to a whole new architecture, 1Password 7 is the fastest, prettiest, and most powerful version of 1Password yet. In short, it’s simply the best. A bold claim but thankfully we can back it up. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

All new modern design

Our design team has been working their tails off reimagining every aspect of 1Password. We wanted to make it as powerful and beautiful as the Mac app while staying true to the Windows platform.

It all added up to a breathtaking new design that you’re going to love. And it all starts with the lock screen.

The steel doors look great and also symbolize the strong encryption that protects your data. And to would-be-attackers, our encryption design is far more secure than the strongest steel.

Once you unlock 1Password with your Master Password (or Windows Hello), you’ll be delighted by the stunning new layout protected behind those doors.

Beautiful! ๐Ÿ˜

Everything has changed and not a single element of the design has been left untouched. Yet the heart and soul of 1Password remain, so youโ€™re able to jump right in and find everything you need.

Your items have never looked better and with full support for time-based one-time passwords, logins really shine. They look so good that you’ll find yourself happily waiting for a new 2FA code simply so you can watch the countdown animation. ๐Ÿ™‚

You can also zoom right in on the password using Large Type. This is perfect for those times you need to type it on another device or are asked for specific characters from your password.

Our new highlight feature while searching makes finding what you’re looking for super easy. And with the addition of search power-ups like title:, tag:, and file:, it’s never been easier to discover what you’re looking for.

And when you prefer to browse, the sidebar is great for navigating between your categories and tags. Along with support for nested tags you can take things to a whole new level by organizing your organization. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Oh and the sidebar gets even better as your vaults live there, too.

All your vaults, all in one place

There’s more to the sidebar than meets the eye. Sitting just beneath the surface is a powerful new way to organize and securely share your items.

Simply click on the sidebar header and your categories will slide away, revealing your collection of vaults. Vaults allow you to group your items depending on their purpose and who needs access to them.

Vaults are so nice that youโ€™ll find yourself adding lots of them. Between my AgileBits business and Teare family accounts, I now have over 50 vaults. Being able to switch between vaults and accounts makes it super simple to stay focused on the task at hand.

Together with a 1Password Families or 1Password Business account, vaults can be used to securely share passwords with your family and colleagues. Simply sign in to 1Password.com and choose who you want to share with and 1Password will do the rest.

My favourite part of sharing passwords this way is the ability to control everyone’s permissions, including making passwords read-only. For those with edit access, changes they make will be seen by everyone else right away.

1Password mini is always by your side

The new awesome carries over into 1Password mini as well, yielding a more powerful and beautiful experience. When you’re on a website and need to login, 1Password mini makes it super easy.

Selecting a login will automatically fill your username and password for you. And if you have two-factor enabled, the one-time password will be automatically copied to your clipboard so you have everything you need right at your Ctrl-V fingertips.

1Password mini will also help you create new logins as well. When you sign up for a new service or log in for the first time, 1Password mini will jump in and offer to save it for you.

In addition to naming your new login and assigning tags, you can also choose which vault to save it to. This is great for keeping things organized as well as choosing who to share with.

And if a website has been breached, mini will alert you so you know that you need to update the password.

Oh and then there’s also Open and Fill which automatically opens websites and fills passwords for you. When combined with the search and organization features of 1Password mini, it’s perfect for bookmarking your favourite sites.

Designed for everybody

We wanted to create 1Password 7 for everybody and be as inclusive as possible. That started with allowing you to sync your vaults yourself as well as using 1Password accounts on 1Password.com, 1Password.ca, and 1Password.eu.

1Password also speaks your language and has been localized to Franรงais, Deutsch, Italiano, ๆ—ฅๆœฌ่ชž, ํ•œ๊ตญ์–ด, Portuguรชs, Pyััะบะธะน, ็ฎ€ไฝ“ไธญๆ–‡, ็น้ซ”ไธญๆ–‡, and Espaรฑol.

Being able to use 1Password in your language is great and itโ€™s even better on High-DPI displays. 1Password 7 has full support for HiDPI in Windows 10 so it looks incredible on 4K monitors and other high density screens.

And for those of you who rely on assistive technologies, rest assured that 1Password 7 is fully accessible with out-of-the-box support for screen readers like Narrator.

Why hello there, Windows Hello

We also added support for Windows Hello so you can unlock 1Password using your fingerprint or simply your smile. This works great in the main app as well as in mini.

I love the “looking for you” animation with the eye looking back and forth, and can’t help but grin when I’m greeted with a smiling face along with the “Hello, dave!” message. ๐Ÿ™‚

As for security, your data is protected by your Master Password as always. To keep things as secure as possible, the first time you unlock you will need to provide your Master Password and then Windows Hello will be able to unlock 1Password thereafter.

Strong foundations

1Password 7 is a completely new modern app built from the ground up to use the latest and greatest technologies available. This gave us a strong foundation and allowed us to push the envelope to make 1Password the best it could be.

In addition to fundamental enhancements like HiDPI and Unicode support, 1Password 7 comes with a whole new database layer that enabled us to make everything much, much, much faster.

And if you’re moving over to our new 1Password memberships, syncing your data is more secure than ever. With the addition of a Secret Key, Secure Remote Password, and Galois/Counter Mode, your data has never been safer. Oh, and to top things off, the speed and reliability is simply unparalleled.

All of these changes combine into the fastest, most secure, and best looking 1Password experience on Windows ever! Long story short: you’re in for an amazing treat! ๐Ÿช

How do I get it?

To start enjoying the best version of 1Password ever built, grab it here:

Download 1Password 7

1Password 7 is included free for everyone with a 1Password membership. Simply unlock 1Password after downloading and youโ€™re good to go.

Those of you with a standalone license will be prompted to subscribe or purchase a license when 1Password 7 first opens. Licenses will cost $64.99 but are available during our launch special for only $49.99. Licenses are per-person, per-platform so you can use your single license on as many PCs as you have. 1Password 7 for Mac is a separate purchase.

I hope you enjoy 1Password 7 as much as we enjoyed making it for you. We couldnโ€™t have done it without your help. โค

Please join us in our discussion forums or in the comments below to share your experiences with us and help craft the future of 1Password. We always love hearing from you. ๐Ÿ˜˜

Dave Teare Founder of AgileBits

1. Dave Teare

Hello again! ๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿ™‚

I wasn’t able to fit this into the post itself but I wanted to mention that the team and I will be hosting an Ask Me Anything session on June 14th at 2pm EST.

If you’ve ever wondered about our security methods, what it’s like to work for a remote company, or coordinate a product launch, now’s your chance to ask us.

Join us on the 14th, or head over to AMAfeed now to ask your question in advance. As much as I wanted to do this on launch day, I figured it best to wait a bit to give you time to prepare your questions and so we have time to catch our breath after today’s release. ๐Ÿ™‚

I hope to see you then! โค๏ธ

• David Mathewson
      David Mathewson says:

As an existing UK user, I was thrilled to see this. I was considerably less pleased to see that the $49.99 price was transmogrified into a UK price of ยฃ46.99! An exchange rate such as that might persuade me to return to my Canadian roots. Can you explain this, as when I first purchased 1 Pasword, I paid in C$ rather than ยฃ. This is quite a price hike.

Hi David,

I hear you. The currency exchange is a pain, especially given how wildly they fluctuate. Alas it’s something that’s out of my hands as I can’t convince the world to switch to the Loonie for their national reserves. ๐Ÿ™‚

Note that our site has always sold all licenses in USD so you had to deal with currency conversion in the past as well. My guess is you purchased at a time when the green back was depressed so it wasn’t as noticeable. The green back has since recovered, surprisingly.

One thing that has changed on our side is we have switched store fronts and use Fast Spring now. They do a much better job w/r/t currencies than we ever did as they present things in the local currency and take care of all the taxes. I think across the pond there you have VAT tax so that price likely includes a hefty payment to Theresa May so she can keep the lights on.

Between taxes and currency exchange it absolutely does add up. I’m sorry for that but there’s not much we can do except lower our price, but not only have we priced things where we feel it needs to be, it also feels wrong to lower my price when the government doesn’t lower theirs.

2. Lucas Cantor
    Lucas Cantor says:

So happy to see this released!

Are you offering an MSI installer by chance? We are trying to figure out how to deploy 1Password for Windows with Intune.

Thanks,
    Lucas Cantor

Hi Lucas!

I’m so happy to see you so happy to see this released! ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ˜˜

I’m admittedly out of my wheelhouse here but I do know that we do not offer an MSI installer. Thankfully it looks like InTune can deploy .exe files though so hopefully there’s a way there. Again, this isn’t my area of expertise so I’ll ask Kate to jump in when she gets in today and incase she has more to add.

Thanks again! ๐Ÿ‘‹

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey, Lucas! Dave asked me to hop in here, but I’m afraid I don’t have too much to add. I’m not positive that InTune will work flawlessly with our .exe installer. Documentation does seem to suggest it should, but it’s not something we’ve had an opportunity to test out ourselves.

We definitely need to do some work on the installer now that 1Password 7 is out so we can provide a better path for large-scale deployment, but if InTune isn’t cooperating, we use InnoSetup which can be customized using the xcopy function after installing on a single machine. You can also customize with the command line using the arguments in this guide:

One thing to keep in mind, though, is not to customize the directory as it will break automatic updates. Otherwise, the world is your oyster and, if you run into any issues, you can find us at support+windows@1password.com any time. We’d be happy to lend a hand. ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Christian
    Christian says:

I use Windows 7 Professional on my PC. But 1Password doesn’t work on it. I installed it and I never could start the app. Always when I tried the PC replied “Doesn’t work, App has to be shut down.”

Hi Christian,

Thanks for reaching out and for giving 1Password 7 a try!

I’m not familiar with that particular error message but I’d recommend starting by making sure you’re running the latest version of Windows and have the latest .Net version as well. It’s a good idea to take that path regardless so it’s always best to start there. ๐Ÿ™‚

If that doesn’t help could you please start a new discussion in our forums so we can dig deeper? Please include a screenshot or two so we can see exactly what’s going on.

I hope that helps! And if not, I look forward to seeing you in the forums so we can get things working for you.

4. Nate
    Nate says:

I participated in the beta and have been absolutely loving the new design and features in 7 – I’m glad to see the Windows product getting some love. Very pleased to see local vault support is back as well as work requirements constrain cloud usage.

Keep up the good work!

5. Nick Hart
    Nick Hart says:

Hi.

I enjoy using 1Password and have paid for licenses as follows:

December 2008
    March 2011
    January 2013
    April 2014

The last purchase was for a 1Password for Mac + Windows bundle for $27.99.

That was a good deal, and admittedly four years ago, but I’m surprised that the normal upgrade price for someone in my position is basically now $130!

I realise there is a launch special which brings this price down to $100 but that is still almost four times what I paid last time, and that feels rough.

Yes, the alternative is to go with the subscription model and I guess this is what we are being pushed towards, but I don’t like the subscription model for passwords (as I want to retain access, independent of the service provider) and I have to tell you from the perspective of a ten year customer, the current standalone pricing strategy feels excessive and turns me off.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for reaching out and thank you so much for supporting us all these years! โค๏ธ We literally wouldn’t be here without awesome customers like you. ๐Ÿค—

I’m sorry the price has you turned off. That’s certainly not what we were hoping for. You are right that 1Password memberships are great for situations like these as a single subscription gets you everything on all platforms.

One thing that you might not be aware of is you can still use standalone vaults with your subscription. That way you can get the benefits of simpler payments with a membership while continuing to sync things with Dropbox the way you are today. Perhaps that would work better for you?

I hope that helps. Take care and thanks again.

Namaste. ๐Ÿ™

• Matthew
      Matthew says:

I agree with Nick, it does leave a bit of a bad taste in the mouth.

How long should we expect our new, very expensive 1Password licenses to last? It would be a shame if you started bumping the version number more regularly to push even harder towards the subscription model.

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey, Matthew! I’m sorry the pricing isn’t what you had expected. Paid upgrades always stink, which is actually one reason we like 1Password memberships so much. They’re predictable by nature, which can be easier on the budget for many. Of course, we know they’re not for everyone. This is actually first time we’ve asked all of our standalone customers for a paid upgrade in about five years. Depending on when you purchased various versions of 1Password, though, what you paid over time might be different and thus sting a bit more and I’m sorry for that. ๐Ÿ’™ I genuinely don’t know how often we’ll release new major versions, though. We are still exclusively thinking about 1Password 7 and what needs fixing now as well as improvements we want to make moving forward. For the sake of my sanity, I sincerely hope this isn’t an annual event, but it’s impossible to know the future for certain. If it’s of any solace, while we certainly hope we’ll tempt you with future versions, your license for 1Password 7 never expires and it’s always up to you whether or not to upgrade. ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Andy
      Andy says:

I agree with you too, Nick. I feel like I invested in 1Password long ago and that investment has not paid off.

I was willing to invest in 1Password because of the license model but that’s unrealistic given the extremely high cost and uncertainty of how long it will be until yet another license is required.

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

We’d be sorry to see you go, Andy. Of course, we always recommend keeping all software up-to-date, but one thing I know folks appreciate about licenses is that you have the choice to upgrade or not. Your license for 1Password 4 never expires and you can stick with it as long as you’d like. That said, 1Password 7 for Windows has been completely rebuilt from scratch and has a ton to offer. From unlocking with Windows Hello, to the All Vaults view to the completely redesigned interface, it hardly looks like the same app any longer. Paid upgrades are inevitable periodically as we do need to continue to support and develop 1Password over the years, but we put a lot of hard work into ensuring the value is there making new versions of 1Password worth the price. I hope you’ll decide to give 1Password 7 a try, but if you do find yourself heading elsewhere, stay safe out there and keep using strong, unique passwords wherever you happen to land. ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ™‚

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

I’m sorry to hear the pricing is pushing you away, Dark. Of course, we’d love to see you stay, but most important of all, how you store your important data should be a choice, even if that choice isn’t 1Password. Regardless of where you land, we’re grateful for all of your support. ๐Ÿ’™

Ultimately, the task when releasing a paid upgrade is to ensure that it provides sufficient value to our customers that y’all feel it’s worth the cost. Ultimately, that value is in the eye of the beholder, but I do think the effort that went into providing that value is particularly evident in 1Password 7 for Windows. It was completely rewritten from the ground up. The UI, the internal database that allows for an All Vaults view, the introduction of Windows Hello unlocking, everything about 1Password for Windows has been updated and modernized. They don’t even look like the same app anymore and I’m extremely proud of what our Windows team accomplished.

Of course, one reason many choose standalone licenses is because upgrading is options. Of course, we’ll always recommend keeping all software up-to-date, but if you’re happy with what you’ve got, you’re still absolutely welcome to skip the upgrade and give 1Password 7 a go later or even not at all. I certainly hope you’ll give 1Password 7 a chance โ€“ there’s a lot packed into the new version for both Mac and Windows, but that choice is entirely up to you. And, of course, if you do find yourself moving on, stay safe out there and keep using those strong, unique passwords wherever you go. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Thom Rosario
      Thom Rosario says:

I’m also a long-time dual-platform customer, and while I’d love an upgrade price (I already bought a Mac-standalone version 7 license), I understand the need to keep the lights on. Thank you for updating the Windows client; version 4 was unusably-slow :p

6. Yorick Phoenix
    Yorick Phoenix says:

Nice to see (based on the screen shots) that Win 1P7 went for the Mac 1P6 layout – that is label on the left, content on the right instead of the Mac 1P7 layout of content below the label in a vertical stack.

Still not used to the new Mac layout, still don’t like it, can see why it was done (long labels) but please make it optional.

Hello Yorick!

You’re right, there are some design differences between Mac and Windows and the label alignment in item details is one of them. I personally like it the way it is on Mac with the vertical alignment as I get antsy when I see clipped or cropped labels. You can see in the screenshots in this post that the last modified label got clipped to last modi... and that irks me. If we updated to a vertical alignment on Windows as well I would be happier. ๐Ÿ™‚

With that said, I’ve heard from users like yourself that prefer the other way. We’ll continue to iterate on this over the coming versions and see where we end up.

Thanks for reaching out and letting us know this is important to you.

๐Ÿป

7. Kevin Linne
    Kevin Linne says:

Hey Dave,

Thanks a lot for all those awesome Features in 1Password 7! My favorites are: Hello Support for Windows and Watchtower for Mac!

Additionally, I’d like to thank you for the support you and your team are delivering by replying to every comment and being helpful answering all our questions! Your support is exceptionally outstanding good!

I won’t get tired recommending your subscription, it’s worth all the money I could spend.

Thanks, Kevin

Ahhh…..thank you so much for saying so, Kevin! ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ˜˜

You’re awesome!

I’m not sure what else to add to that as it’s all I really wanted to say, but somehow clicking Send on such a short response after reading your incredible comment didn’t feel like enough. So here I am typing a few more words to the size of my response can help convey the size of the smile on my face after reading your kind words. Anyway, this feels like about the right size now so let me start a new paragraph here and wrap things up…๐Ÿ™‚

We wouldn’t be here without awesome customers like you so thank you for supporting us. We’re happy to continue working at our dream jobs as long as you’ll have us. โค๏ธ

8. Max
    Max says:

TIL 1Password.ca exists. As a canadian myself, is there any special reason to use .ca? Can I use .ca if I created a .com account?

Hello fellow Canadian! ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‘‹

It’s so nice that summer is here so our internet is back online. Let’s just hope it doesn’t get too warm so our igloos don’t melt! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Indeed 1Password.ca is now a thing! Amazon has gone and built themselves an incredible ice castle in Quebec and somehow found a way to keep electrons moving during the winter months so they’re able to retain their incredible uptime, even all the way up here in the Great White North. Bob and Doug were pleased.

Anyway, there are indeed some benefits of using 1Password.ca. One is you get to pay in good ‘ol Canadian loonies and you also get to support Amazon’s investment in Canada. In theory it should be faster as well since it’s closer to us but in practice electrons don’t get too tired so you’re not likely to see a huge difference there. If you want to go this route keep in mind that all our data centers are completely independent, so there is no automatic migration available. You’ll need to signup to 1Password.ca, add your account to 1Password, and then move your items over from your 1Password.com. It’s not

I hope that helps, Max. And thanks for giving me some inspiration for my Christmas newsletter. I think I’m going to have to brush off Bob and Doug’s 12 Days of Christmas classic and roll with it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Take care and stay forever vigilant. Winter will be back soon. ๐Ÿ˜‰

9. Kristian
    Kristian says:

Thank you! The new version looks great and the upgrade from 1Password 6 was very simple. The search is fast and the ability to keep local and 1password.com vaults together is awesome! Now I can remove 1Password4! great!

Things to mention:
    – The app is not multi monitor, multi dpi save. On my 2nd screen it still looks blurry.
    – The app installs itself in english, but I have set German in Windows.
    – Even if I set the app to German, many text parts are still in english (category names, etc.).

I hope this will improved soon.

Hi Kristian,

It’s so great to hear from you! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts โ€“ it’s awesome to hear you’re excitement. ๐Ÿค—

As for those niggles, you’re right on all of them. ๐Ÿ™‚

When there are multiple monitors to choose from 1Password will use the DPI setting from your primary monitor. So one option is to assign your monitor with the highest DPI as you primary monitor so 1Password uses the highest one available. Another option is to move the 1Password window to the monitor you want and then restart 1Password.

Moving between windows or using both at the same time (say, perhaps one for browsing with 1Password mini and one for the main app) will currently use the same DPI for each window so you’re right, one of them will be fuzzy in that case. Being sensitive to each monitor’s DPI is on our radar so hopefully we can get this ironed out in a future release.

As for localization, you do indeed need to select your language when you launch 1Password. Your choice should be remembered for you afterwards but I can see how it would be a bit surprising to see English when you first launch. It would be great to use the language set within Windows itself and I suspect that will be another change you’ll see in the future.

As for the category names, this is something we’re actively working on as we speak. Hopefully you’ll see those flip over to the right language sooner than later.

Take care, have yourself a great week, and continue enjoying 1Password 7! ๐Ÿ˜˜

• Kristian
      Kristian says:

Thank you for your reply. Itโ€™s great to hear, that youโ€™re working on that things.

10. David Brown
    David Brown says:

It looks and sounds great, Daveโ€”congratulations to all!

I notice the absence of folders, on which I depend heavily. (It’s just the way my brain works. I use tags, too, but only sparingly.)

Are folders really gone?

If so, will 1Password 7 detect folders in an existing vault? If so, a folder-to-tag conversion seems like it ought to be straightforward (he said, while laughing at the very idea) and would be much appreciated.

Hi David! It’s so great to see you again! ๐Ÿ‘‹

Thank you so much for the kind words and the congratulations. I just posted your thoughts in our Windows channel to share your love with the whole team. ๐Ÿ˜˜

You really want to bring up Folders on launch day? I thought we were friends. ๐Ÿ˜‚ Seriously though, I better start from the beginning for others reading along. We’ve long had support for both folders and tags. It was a little weird to have both and we long wanted to simplify things and just have one. Tags was the obvious winner in my mind but we left folders as they allowed nesting and there was no way to nest tags. That changed with 1Password 7 with the addition of nested tags so we decided it was time to sunset folders.

Currently in 7.0 any of your existing folders will be displayed as nested tags. Underneath the covers they continue to be folders and are only converted to nested tags when changes are made to an item.

We have plans to do a bulk conversion of folders to tags in a future release and as you say, it seems like it should be pretty easy to do. ๐Ÿ˜‚ Of course the devil is in the details so we need a bit more time to get that sorted out.

Take care David, it was great talking with you again! I hope you’re doing great. โค๏ธ